• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, there is that! I picked up one of the 200th year models in blue steel for 175.00 used and it has been one of my better cap-n-ballers but I do shoot the Remington-Pietta target the most. MD

As far as spare parts go, that is no reason not to get one.

The only thing I have ever seen go wrong on an ROA is the base pin being bent due to being dumb and not tightening the retaining lock.

I have seen many bent base pins. I have never seen one not able to be straightened out and work perfectly.

If an ROA could be broke with normal use and abuse, trust me, I would have done it.

An ACCURATE load on an ROA is somewhere between 23-28gr of 3f depending on the gun. Filler will tighten a group up slightly. When I say slightly, roughly 1/8-1/4 inch at 25yds.

a .357 caseful of 3f is a good load. a 7.62x39 case is max my ROA will hold when loading a lee mold slug. I shot thru a 200# + wild-feral hog with that load at around 50'. broke a rib both sides and sailed out to beyond.

Back