• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger old army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 7-1/2" fixed sight model. My most accurate load is 25-28gr of 777 with lubed wad and .457 RB.

You will probably find that it shoots high.

Most of them do.

Cage

At 25 yards my ROA with 30gr of 3F will shoot a 6 shoot ragged hole you can cover with a .50 cent piece. It is as or more accurate than any of my center fire pistols.

I've got a pair of SS 7 1/2's with Ruger flap holsters.I have shot both conicals and RB in them,seems to me if I remember correctly (haven't shot either in about 8 yrs) the RB load was a little more accurate and more to POA.RB from one of these will kill a SE whitetail very dead :)

I picked mine up used from a friend that got it at a gun show with selling it to me in mind.
It is one of the blued models with adjustable sights made in 1976.It has the "made in the 200th year of American liberty" stamped on top.MD

It is very hard to destroy the ROA. The one we gave up trying to break had evidence of considerable gas cutting beneath the top strap. We quit at 46000 CUP. What you will experience with very heavy loads, such as our cylinder, separated 777 compressed, and 200gr conical is blown back caps, even with the smallest nipple flash hole that still permits reliable ignition. The ROA is stout. The unsealed nature of percussion ignition is its Achilles heel and the reason for the muzzle-loading systems using Boxer or battery cup primers.

Please don't do something stupid after reading this. Our cylinder, or one deep-bored by a reputable gunsmith to higher capacity, coupled with a strong nipple with small flash hole (TRESO and Blomquist we trust)can be worked up safely and reliably to velocities that make the ROA a very formidable sidearm. Its real secret is that with a very small bit of attention, it can become the most accurate revolver you've ever shot, and that accuracy does not discriminate between light, bullseye target loads and those suited to knocking down hogs, be they steel or flesh.

Regards,

Wisent
classicballistx

AlanA said:
* THIS IS NOT A LOAD RECOMMENDATION!!!*
I think I recall an article discussing the ROA right after it was introduceD, and Bill Ruger was trying to test one to destruction. The load they put in the chamber they estimated at 60,000 PSI or so and the gun fired normally - and survived.

* IF YOU ACT ON THIS INFORMATION IN ANY WAY
* YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!

Last question: yes
They are a very good C&B revolver, maybe the best ever, meaning EVER, made. Yes, you can fill the cylinder up to where it will still accept the (.457") ball, then top with grease, cap and shoot.

Edit: these old posts throw me. Oh, well. Wish I had mine back. Got despondant with shoulder injuries and sold most of my pistols. :(

I've heard that the original Colts with gain twist rifling were capable of sub-1" groups on occasion, but I cannot verify that.

I know my very first group w/ my old ROA cut a not-very-ragged one-hole group at 20 yards, and it will do it pretty much on-demand when I'm having a good day. The load is .457" Speer RB, 45gr (yeah, I was surprised it held that much too) 2F Goex, and a greased felt wad under the ball.

I just picked up a stainless gun from about '81-'82 in the box with all the papers, apparently in unfired condition for $400. I nearly threw my shoulder out of socket reaching for my wallet. There is not much doubt in my opinion that it is the strongest, most reliable, and probably the most accurate C&B ever made.

Latest posts

Back