• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cooterdog said:
When I get it should I try .454 and .457 RB's? I assume it will be #11 caps but guess it could be #10's. Should be fun to plunk with it.

ROB

My ROA is 23 years old ,and is marked on the box as .44 cal.

The accompanying instructions, and the recommended Lee mould. state that .457 is THE size to use.

I have shot mine almost continuously, part from times away from home on assignments when I was in the Service, almost every week-end that I can recall and I'm still using the original set of nipples.

Caps are #11.

My load is 24gr of Pyrodex P and the ball. Conicals are so-so, but ball is more accurate and softer top shoot for noobs.

Buy it and laff.

tac

I also have a blue ROA in 44 and must say it's the best shooter of my over half dozen BP revolvers! I do get much better accuracy w/ elong bullets, currently using LEE mold for the 200 grn 2 band revolver bullet. I also have a 45 Colt cylinder which is nice to shoot but a pain to load as it must be removed every time to replace cartridges. Since it's no more accurate I usually shoot cap&ball, using 45 Colt for side carry when hunting. FYI I do not recommend buying cartridge cylinder
The load of powder is the most critical item & as each pistol has load preferences. You must play with it to determine best load. It holds a max of 40grn 3f but that's high, I suggest start at 20g and go up in 5g steps until group opens up again, then try between best 2 loads. Some guys at the range say 2f works better for them so it might be worth trying, but I think the faster 3f is better
I also ALWAYS use wonderwads under my bullets to soften fouling & prevent bullet base damage. Many say they're for preventing chain fire but recent high speed digital video shows chain fire happens at the nipple!! Mostly due to poor fitting caps & Pinching only makes this worse!!! I always use #10's in revolvers unless they are TOO TIGHT... I do NOT want to ruin a gun for want of a 3 cent cap !!
We shoot competition revolvers at 25 & 50 yds. My Ruger does well with under 4" groups at 50 yds depending on how I feel. This is using NMLRA rule requiring 1 handed hold, It does much better with SASS 2 handed hold. I also have Remington, Colt, Spiller & Burr pistols from 31 to 44 but as I said this Ruger, while least accurate as a replica, is my best shooter... DOC
ps; I paid $250 4 yrs ago, used VG

I'm a satisfied user of the Lee mold 220 gr conical .457 dia slug. I cast from as soft lead as I can get - it has to pass the 'thumbnail test'.
I get slightly tighter groups useing Pyro 'P' grade for some reason.
I also use a felt over-powder.
I shot a large wild/feral hog with mine. a 200 lb field dressed weight. a little too far back & high on a moveing target - still drilled both lung tips and complete pass-through. a lengthy track (at least 300 yds) in patchy snow resulted in finding it in thicket still blowing blood so a follow-up shot to base of skull/neck juncture was administered.

Latest posts

Back