• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rum...the PC libation. What do y'all recommend?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite, is appletons then newfie sreetch,myers planters punch,lambs,old navy,goslings,captain morgan(all dark)
CHEERS!!

I've been looking for something else at the 'voo supply lists here:
http://roxen.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/bizrecs.html

The yorkboat list (http://roxen.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/yorkboat.html ) shows kegs of "High wines", Rum, "spirits", Port wine, Madera wine, Red wine, and Brandy. No Brands specified though...after a year in the mountains, I doubt if those particular customers were that picky! ::

Rations for the transporters included
"Rations for the Voyageurs:
8 Sacks of Hard Tack
2 " Peas
200 lb. Paper wrapped packages Pork"

I might need a shot of adult beverage after a steady diet of that for a few weeks! :youcrazy:::
Patsy

There's a Trader that sets up at the Rondevous at my Blackpowder Club that always has a bottle of Vanilla Rum to pass around, it sure is good. I havn't asked hem where he gets it or how he makes it. Going to have to ask if I see him again.

Robert

My dad used to just drop a vanilla bean or two into a bottle of rum... works with other spices as well.

Jim aka kiltiemon (Wow! Rum and Popcorn threads in the SAME forum!!! OK gotta pop some corn!!!)

Pusser's Rum. Mixed in accordance with Royal Navy regulations (when grog was still issued). The RN went dry decades ago and now Pusser's is available to us landlubbers.

Mr. Gary,
WHAT??? The RN went "dry"? Sorry to hear it. Last time I visited one of Her Majesty's ships, each mess had their own bar from which an individual could purchase a beverage.
Another sad statement on the condition of the world. :(
Best Wishes

Noah, I'll second the recommendations of others for Meyers, Mount Gay, and Pussers, and highly recommend Appelton Estate. That said, I'll share a receipe I got from a modern mountain man, Carl "Raw Meat" Mims. Mix one fifth of any good drk rum with a gallon of fresh apple cider, 1/2 ts ground cinnamon and 1/2 ts ground ginger and the juice of 4 limes. Let this season for 24 hours in a wooden keg if you have one. Serve over snow or shaved ice.
Carl claimed to have some 18th cent documentation for this libation, but after a pint or so, no one was willing to challenge him on it--if they didn't drink the stuff back then, they should have.

What? Nobody has a recipe for "Hot Buttered Rum". I seem to remember reading that term often in the past.

Darkhorse,
Watch that movie about "Rogers Rangers" with
Spencer Tracy and Robert Young.(can't think of the name
of the movie, but i know someone here does) Anyway there
is a scene in a pub where Roger's gets Robert Young
plastered on 'Hot Buttered Rum'. Looks authentic at least
for the times.
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

Snake Eyes... Shhhhhh!!! "he's climbing the mountain"*

Jim aka kiltiemon

*special "Northwest Passage" humour!

Let's not forget the Ranger carrying the "Sack Lunch", there's an epicurian trail snack if I ever saw one!!! ::

Howdy!

This mix will make you crawl back to your tent!

Fill a quart jar full of Vodka, dump some sugar in, stuff some pitted and skinned plums in. Let it sit in the dark for one full year. Open the jar and strain the pulp out and enjoy!

Yum yum! :eek:

Over the line in Missouri, at Ft. Osage, Capt. Morgan's seems to be the favorite. The favorite drink is hot buttered rum. I wish I knew what brand they use for that at the fort.

Back in my drinkin' days, I preferred Myers's Dark, myself. And as far a Bourbons go, yes, Maker's Mark is fine sippin' whiskey indeed. Booker's is also quite good. But there's one better, in my humble opinion; and that is Labreau & Graham's Woodford Reserve. Now that is fine whiskey, something to be savored, not tossed down.

Cruzatte

"he's climbing the mountain"*
Kiltiemon,
Its been awhile since i've seen it but you
are right! Not very PC but a vary entertaining movieIMO
That lunch was very yaqui(sp?) ::
snake-eyes

Nord,

My grandfather used to make something similar..only with pitted unsweetened cherries. He would buy a large can of them, the largest can he could get. Put them in a gallon wide mouth jar or jars depending on the am't of cheeries, add some sugar, and then fill with a good bourbon. If I recall, he started this when the cheeries were harvested and kept the mix in a dark closet till Christmas. Man o man...that was something choice lemme tell ya. You could either drink the "juice" or stick a toothpick in the cheeries and serve them on a platter.

Nord,

My grandfather used to make something similar..only with pitted unsweetened cherries. He would buy a large can of them, the largest can he could get. Put them in a gallon wide mouth jar or jars depending on the am't of cheeries, add some sugar, and then fill with a good bourbon. If I recall, he started this when the cheeries were harvested and kept the mix in a dark closet till Christmas. Man o man...that was something choice lemme tell ya. You could either drink the "juice" or stick a toothpick in the cheeries and serve them on a platter.

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Back