• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rustic Arms/Narragansett Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longshot47

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Been doin the links and have experienced considerable temptation when I lock in on the Bucks County longrifle offered by Larry Williams of Early Rustic Arms and that of Narragansett Arms. Sixty seconds of hands-on and I'd know what I need to make a right decision. Absent that, I'm hopin someone in the brotherhood -who has seen and shouldered one or both of these pieces, might share their appraisal as to quality, correctness and value. Open to other recommendations also. I'd be mighty obliged.

Note: Had this post [Point me right] settin in 'General Interest' for some time -without reply. Tryin this 'new' exposure at the helpful suggestion of another member of this Board.....Longshot

I've only actually held one example of L.E. William's work, and that was a militia musket beside an original 1848 Springfield musket. The "wear" and finish on the Williams musket was surprisingly similar to the Springfield. The browning of the barrel actually being considerably better that what a worn original might look like. The feeling/impression I got was of a semi-modern unissued military surplus rifle that SARCO used to sell. Good condition, made to military specs. with the wood-to-metal fit being just a bit rushed, the metal having that parkerized texture that only unworn military arms have. I kind of liked it and would certainly own one. I've spoken with L.E. on the phone and he seems a pleasant guy.

No experience with Narragansett.

I got to handle on of rustic arm's cumberland fowler's over the weekend. It was very a very well made gun, very plain but also very authentic. It looked exactly like what it was supposed to- the everyday workingman's gun. fit was great, but not fancy. It really looked like it had been stolen from a museum. My only critique is that the finish seemed a little thin. My impression was that a few seasons out in the elements and it would be worn off, as well as the stain. This however would easily remedied with a few coats of oil.
My example may not have been the best as it was dirty, having been fired recently and not cleaned, as well as being drug across the Cherokee National (State?) forest on a 10 day trek last september, most of the time it rained I was told.
I will say that it seems to be a great gun, well worth the money.
I've seen Narrangasset Armes stuff, but never had the chance to play with one. They seem like very good guns as well, but just a little "prettier." the one I saw was a Tulle De chasse, so the comparison may not be fair. As I understand it the gunsmiths at Tulle refused to go build a gun of lesser quality than their famous hunting guns, even if they were less expensive "trade" guns.
Personally, I'd go with the Early rustic arms piece- a lot more gun for your money IMO. You could almost buy two for the price of a Narrangasset, but I don't think the latter is twice the gun.

I own a Narragansett Early Virginia Rifle. Quality-wise the wood to metal fit is superb and it is very nicely finished. It is well worth the price to me, and could easily be my favotite firearm. As mentioned, Narragansett products are much more expensive. I acquired mine before the company changed hands--I understand the wait time is much longer now. I was told mine would be ready in six months, but it took only about 4 1/2 months. As an owner of one, I would certainly give them my business again.
Ron

It's nice to hear another good comment on Larry's guns since I just ordered one last week. Same gun as you are talking about as a matter of fact(Cumberland Fowler). The finish isn't real important to me since I ordered mine in the white. One of the nice things was that since I plan on doing some re-enacting with the gun was that I found a plain unpolished steel flashguard at Dixons that will fit the L & R Queen Anne lock without any problem.
Almost everyone I spoke to about or who mentioned Larry's gun said the same thing, not fancy but well made and functional.

From Historical Trekking Message Board:

Narragansette Armes.....rest of story
Author: Tommy Bruce
Date: 02-05-05 09:48

A few weeks ago I posted in response to a question regarding Narragansette Armes. I would like to say that Terry did refund my money and returned my lock as promised. I can't say the whole experience was a pleasant one though. I think most people understand that a year to a year and a half wait is not out of the question when seeking a custom gun. However continued delays and unreturned correspondance and communication wears on a buyer's confidence in the vender after awhile. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but promised I would update the situation and give Terry credit for returning my money and Lock.

Reply To This Message | Flat View Newer Topic | Older Topic

Topics Author Date
Narragansette Armes.....rest of story
Tommy Bruce 02-05-05 09:48
Re: Narragansette Armes.....rest of story
Daniel 02-05-05 15:39
Another story
Fitz Williams 02-05-05 15:51
Re: Another story
Tommy Bruce 02-05-05 20:42
Re: Another story
jack 02-06-05 17:06
Tommy Bruce 02-05-05 20:44
Daniel 02-06-05 06:16
Don's guns
sulinai 02-06-05 08:15

Bear60

My special thanx to each a you boys what responed to this outreach. Its a pleasant dilemma, -well greased by the input of folks 'in the know'. More to come.......Longshot :thumbsup:

Back