• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty barrel optimism question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchannell

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My shooting pal just showed up in my driveway and gave me a T/C Hawken .45 he'd bought. It is in pretty darn good shape, EXCEPT for the bore. It has rust and from my limited ability to look in, some pitting. I put a back load of patches soaked in Hoppe's and WD40 thru it and it feels fairly smooth.

I know I've got to shoot it and see, but what do you all think of the chances it will shoot well?
Anyone have any good ideas on how to better clean the rust out, or should I just give up and buy a replacement barrel? If so, is there a good place to buy replacement barrels?

I just wanted to say, thanks for the warm welcome to the site, and as always, thanks for the info.

I'd go ahead and cut a few patch-sized pieces of green scotchbrite pad and run them through it on a jag, then go shoot it.

I'm more optimistic than most on bores. I have a Winchester 1886 in 38-56 with mere ghosts of rifling in it, and none in some places. First attempts were putting bullets sideways on the target at 50 yards, if they hit it at all. Tinkering with bullet diameter and loads (and patience) has it shooting 3" groups at 50 yards now. Anybody who looks down the bore can't believe it will even hit the paper.

As for replacement barrels, that's getting scratchy because Green Mountain has deserted muzzleloaders, at least in terms of drop-ins. You're most likely to find them used, though come to think of it, last time I looked Track of the Wolf did still list 50 cal drop-ins as available for TCs. Just make sure the barrel diameter is the same as the 45 you're playing with. Hopefully the availability of drop-ins is purely academic.

Congradulations on getting the new (to you) TC Hawkens. :grin: As to wether the barrel will be salvagable is hard to determine without being able to examine it more thourthly . :idunno: I guess it must be a caplock ?? I'd just keep soaking it and use a brass bore brush and elbow grease untill you can get a better idea of damage . :( Theree are several places to buy a replacement barrel , and you'll hear from some who will steer you to a supplier . Good luck mwith your new toy !~1 :thumbsup:

I had a barrel like that and I cleaned it the best I could. I used scotch bright and OOOO steel wool. Then I took it out and shot the sh#t out of it and cleaned good after each outing. After about a 1/2 dozen times the barrel got cleaner and cleaner until it shined. It still had some pits but turned into a pretty good barrel :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
I'd go ahead and cut a few patch-sized pieces of green scotchbrite pad and run them through it on a jag, then go shoot it.

I'm more optimistic than most on bores. I have a Winchester 1886 in 38-56 with mere ghosts of rifling in it, and none in some places. First attempts were putting bullets sideways on the target at 50 yards, if they hit it at all. Tinkering with bullet diameter and loads (and patience) has it shooting 3" groups at 50 yards now. Anybody who looks down the bore can't believe it will even hit the paper.

As for replacement barrels, that's getting scratchy because Green Mountain has deserted muzzleloaders, at least in terms of drop-ins. You're most likely to find them used, though come to think of it, last time I looked Track of the Wolf did still list 50 cal drop-ins as available for TCs. Just make sure the barrel diameter is the same as the 45 you're playing with. Hopefully the availability of drop-ins is purely academic.

For the record you can still get a T/C barrel for under $200.00. Last one I ordered took 5 months to get. Its a 32" RB barrel and its a SHOOTER!

Wattsy said:
For the record you can still get a T/C barrel for under $200.00. Last one I ordered took 5 months to get. Its a 32" RB barrel and its a SHOOTER!

Well, shoot. I done forgot about TC themselves! Great point, Wattsy! :hatsoff:

I say scrub it out good, then take that sucker out and shoot it. You might be surprised at how well a rusty old barrel can clean up.

Good luck with it and congratulations.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Green Mountain has a new batch of drop in barrels in the works right now.

It will shoot fine.

You are in a win/win situation there. Sounds like you got a free rifle that just has a bit of rust. Clean it the best you can with some steel wool or scratch pads as has already been recommended and go shooting. Some of that stuff will probably naturally work it's way out with shooting as long as it's not badly pitted. I'm sure you will be surprised with the groups you will be able to get with it.

you can also contact a Bob Hoyt listed here on previous posts to freshen your barrel or make it a smooth bore 717 642-6696

The easiest, simplest and safest way to remove all rust from the bore is with diluted molasses. I've posted info on this before. Do a forum search on "molasses". You can use a bore brush, steel wool etc., but non of these can get down into the bottom of the pits or in the corners.

While this will do nothing to smooth the bore, if done correctly, it will remove all traces of rust.

If scotch brite or steel wool doesn't fix it you might try pouring a lead plug and lapping the barrel. If you want more information on lapping the barrel send me a p.m. And I can walk you through the process. I have salvaged some awfull bad barrels by lapping them .Black powder and prb is realy very forgiving compared to center fire barrels. :hmm:

Thanks for all the nfo. I've got it pretty clear of rust, but there's noticable pitting, which doesn't look all that terrible to me, on a relative basis. So, I'm going to shoot it and see how it does.
I've lapped high power rifle barrels, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the task, but still will probably contact you when I get ready to do the deed, you just never stop learning from people.

Hello

Wanted to ask a dumb question:
When using scotch brite or 0000 wool
how do you use these without them
getting lost in the barrel? :confused:

Rob

I've got an older T/C 50 cal that has a barrel resembling a nasty sewer pipe, I have no idea how or why , but it is a very accurate rifle and my first choice come deer season

nkvd said:
Hello

Wanted to ask a dumb question:
When using scotch brite or 0000 wool
how do you use these without them
getting lost in the barrel? :confused:

Rob

Good question, and the answer is easy. I just cut a patch-sized piece and put it over a jag like a cleaning patch. My jag was too tight on one rifle, so I dropped down to a smaller caliber jag and used two pieces of Scotchbrite.

Quick word of advice: Go for the cleaning jag method rather than wrapping it around your bore brush. I did that, thinking it definitely wouldn't get lost in the barrel and I would get double the scrubbing. It got all the rust off all right, but I'm still picking bits of steel wool out of the brush :doh:

I had the same problem as you. Someone on this site said to use Evapo-Rust sold at Auto Zone. This stuff works on rust and only rust. Had a barrel I thought I had cleaned very well. What the heck.. filled it up and let it soak for about 4 hours. Drained it, flushed it and I was shocked to see the crud/rust removed on the following 4 patches. Even deep inside the drum area was spotless. I researched this stuff and got good reviews on it. I worked for me, and I have a nice shiny bore to prove it.

Back