• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rusty nipple removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a recipe or solvent that I can use to break down the rust holding a nipple onto a barrel? I recently purchased a used a .45 cal BP "Kentucky" style caplock from a pawnshop. I got it at a good price and wanted it mainly for apperarence at F&I events. I hope to eventually shoot it or take it down and rebuild it. It has no name brand on it other then "FIE" which lets me know it's an import. Whoever had it allowed it to corrode or rust on portions of the gun and now I can't take the nipple off to clean around it or replace it. I have used the normal solvents (WD40) etc. with no luck so far.
Keep the wind at yer back!
Two Turkey

You need a penetrating oil like Rem Oil, Liquid Wrench or CLP Breakfree, and a good soaking left overnight to seep in. Then maybe some propane torch heat just before trying again. Remove the barrel from the stock first, of course.

Maybe just adding some leverage will help. What are you using for a wrench?

I'd go with Liquid Wrench overnight and heat.

But I do have a question. "F&I" is for French and Indian war right? How can you use a percussion gun there? ::

Make sure it's not loaded BEFORE you put the heat to it! If someone was negligent enough to let their gun rust, they are negligent enough to leave it loaded!

"Make sure it's not loaded BEFORE you put the heat to it!"

Boy that's the truth. One of our members is still shaking from having a loaded gun go off while he was heating the breech of a gun. Lucky someone didn't get hurt or killed. :shocking:

yep , be sure to check for a load and if the ram rod dosnt masure right assume its loaded, dont belive just becouse you can blow through it its safe , I am here to tell you its not .
I like sea foam PF its IMO much better then most others, you can find it at most automotive parts houses. put a old cap on it let the hammer down and fill the barrel for about an inch and then let it set over night .

From yore short description of tha rifle I'm think'n it might be an old "Jukar" or "CVA".

If so, I'd remove tha barrel from tha stock, next I'd unscrew tha "drum" (what tha nipple is screwed into) from tha barrel. Then I'd drop tha drum and nipple in'a can of solvent and let'em soak fer'a few days.

With tha drum out of tha barrel (NOT tha breech plug), you should be able to safely determine if tha barrel has a powder charge and ball in it.

Do you know what a "drum" is????
I bet you'll git thet rifle shoot'n agin!!
You have already found tha best place on tha innernet fer advice!!

YMHS
rollingb

There is an easy method that works on the most rusty relics, that removes all vestige of rust.

Get a plastic bucket, or other container that will submerge the part you want cleaned up.

Put in enough water to cover it. For your purpose, you could just have the breech end stuck in far enough to cover. Then add Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. About a pound to two gallons is about right. Stir it around to get it desolved. This is reusable, by the way, so you can keep it for future projects. Either seal it, or let the water evaporate out until next time.

Then, find a piece of steel to put down into the bucket, not touching the other piece.

Attach the electrodes from a battery charger to the piece you want cleaned up, and the other to the steel.

Run the charger on 6V, 12 will work, but not as fast, for some reason.

Turn on the charger, and watch for bubbles. You should see small bubbles coming from the rusted piece within a minute. If not, reverse the polarity. I think you need the negative on the rusty piece, but don't remember for sure. No big deal, you won't hurt anything.

For something like a rusted in nipple, this may take a week or more. But you will do no damage to the base metal. Only the rust will be removed. If you are cleaning something with surface rust, a couple days usually will do it. Take it out, and wash with clear water, dry and oil.

The metal will come out with a grey color to it, and will re-brown or blue easily.

The information given here by the others should do the trick.The only thing I'd add is to fill thebbl. to the muzzle with W-D40 or another type penetrating oil and let it stand in a corner for a couple of days,then apply the heat.make sure to set the breech in a coffee can to catch the oil that will weep out.And as was said,check it for a load.I've found two rifles fully loaded in pawnshops.FIE. hasn't imported any BP Kentuckys for several years,the rifle should be 1:66 round ball twist.If the bore turns out not to be badley pitted,it should make a good shooter.The drum can also be replaced.Good Luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup: ::

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and suggestions. To answer some of your questions I will provide the following information. I got the gun even though it is a caplock because it is a Kentucky or Pennsylvania style rifle. As I said it is mostly for appearence and I think it is passable enough to fool a passing visitor or school tour. If I were involved in any type of renactment I would certainly take a position away from the public.
Regarding the loading situation, I have checked it by firing a cap through it, but I will check to see if it is unloaded with the ramrod. Like some of you I have purchased TWO BP rifles from pawnshops, taken them home and found them to be loaded. It was certainly a valuable lesson for my 14 year old daughter to learn regarding safe gun handling.
Thanks again and I hope to be able to contribute to this forum in the future.
Stay Safe
Bill :thumbsup:

two turkey
Im glad to here you popped a cap .

after over 20 years of working on BP weapons i thought much as you did , even knowing full well something was down there " the ramrod told me so" and i had drilled the object where i could blow through them. I as well as soaked the barrels in oil for a couple weeks , then putting a tourch to the nipple holes and having nothing happen .I thought they were safe .
im here to tell you they were not and i was very wrong in thinking so .

check them double check them and then check them again . I was very lucky . i posted what happend the very next morning
always asume its loaded even when you think its not as im sure you do . here is a link to the post i made
Warning there is a GOD!!!!!!

I had a Ruger Old Army with several rusted nipples which refused to budge. I tried soaking them in lubricant etc and even purchased a special nipple wrench. Still no luck.

I ended up pulling the cylinder, drilling a hole with a bit just a hair smaller than the nipple threads. The result was that the damage nipple left in the threaded hole just fell apart. Yea! I cleaned and ran a tap into the hole and replaced the nipples with new ones.

Please keep in mind that the was a percussion six shooter and It may not work for your particular situation.

Just an idea. :thumbsup:

After soaking the nipple with solvent try putting the nipple/breach area into boiling water to heat it up. I have had good luck applying heat this way. Safer than a torch for heat. At least try it initially. You may find you will not need all that much heat. Also before you try to unscrew it, tap it with a hammer. It will help break the rust "bond'.

Back