• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rusty tin canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
The stainless steel canteen I have been using for a while just didn't look right. Way too shiny!
Last weekend I picked up an old tin canteen from a trade blanket for a good price. It looks much better that the stainless one but the inside is a bit rusty.
Any tips on the best way to safely remove rust from the inside of a tin canteen without damaging the canteen or poisoning myself?

Jethro, pour a Coke in it and let it sit for a day. It (MAY)remove the rust. Coke has phosphoric acid in it which is what Naval Jelly is. I don't know if that will work, but it will only cost you a Coke to see.

Once cleaned and thoroughly dried, I would coat the interior with beeswax.

Iwould be careful of the bees wax, make sure the in side of the canteen is super dry, I waxed a civil war bulls eye years age it worked fine for a number of years then the wax began coming loose. Every time I would drink from it I got bits of very nasty looking bees wax[AND YES THE CANTEEN WAS LEFT TO DRY BETWEEN USAGE, AND STORED UN CORKED}finally bought a new stainless one and covered it with a wool cover.Just some thoughts A APPALICHIAN HUNTER

when the bees wax lining starts to flake, just fill it up with hot water and swish it around. The wax will soften and re-adhere to the canteen/gourd....etc.

FYI - I usually go 50/50 paraffin/beeswax. It seems to last a bit longer before needing the hot water treatment

I'd be using "Electrolysis" for a project like that.
Easy to do at home with a auto battery charger.

Check out directions with a google search, ton's of info and videos out there.

It can actually be used in reverse,, maybe you can "add" rust to the outside of your stainless canteen,

Burnish the SS one to take of the shine and use the tin one as an empty prop .

I have beeswax lined canteens, and I simply melt out the old and add new, pure beeswax in the spring.

As mentioned in the previous post, once can burnish the SS canteen..., one might try a rubdown with a 3M green scrubbie.

LD

The rust will come back under the bees wax , you don't want to be drinking rust .As stated burnish with a pad or 1000 wet and dry , some SS will turn a light coppery colour if you heat it carfully with a map torch .

Jethro, just put whiskey in that old tin canteen, then you won't care whether it is rusty or not. I'll help you do the quality control. :haha:

Many Klatch

I work in the construction industry, on stainless projects we are carefull not to use a carbon steel wire wheel on our 4" side grinders because it will contaminate the surface of the stainless and cause it to rust(only on the surface)I don't know but it is possible that you could buff the outside with a carbon wheel and get the best of both worlds, rusty PC outside and clean stainless inside

Hey, that would be great. I just might try that.

First I'm going to try the Coke trick. Picked up a big bottle at the store. Got plenty to even have a glass while I wait. :grin:

If that don't do it I'll try the molasses thing.

And I have plenty of both beeswax and paraffin around here. Got a gourd that needs coating too while I'm at it.

If both the Coke and molasses fail, there's always Many Klatches idea. Just drink whiskey and pretty soon the rust won't even be noticeable.

Please use good judgment on the rust removal as kidney failure was very HCPC and passing tiny rust particles would not be pleasent , lead in you pencil is one thing ironxide is another :)

1601phill said:
Please use good judgment on the rust removal as kidney failure was very HCPC and passing tiny rust particles would not be pleasent , lead in you pencil is one thing ironxide is another :)
It is extremely unlikely that any rust particles would survive stomach acid. Considering the mechanism of urine formation, reaching the kidney in particle form is impossible.

:rotf: Yes sort of tounge in cheek .
Rusty water is not recomended to drink '

Why not cover the SS canteen with some cloth like they did? Or you can use vinegar water in the tin one. Also when finally rust free, stuff a paper towel in it and turn upside down and use the towel as a wick it will take out the moisture.

Back