• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sable muzzle-loading hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
G'day friends.

I'm pretty excited. I just booked in for a muzzle-loading sable hunt in northern Mozambique. Outfitters have great references and assures me that caps and powder are no problem to get.

Other critters I'm likely to get a chance at are bushpig, warthog, Livingstone eland. Really want a bushpig badly.

I'll take my well proven Lyman great Plains rifle. I shot it at the range on the weekend and it was stacking the Lyman great Plains bullets one on top of the other at 100 yards.

It's going to be a long wait until September!

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to do a few warm up hunts. Just waiting for a cyclone to pass, or hurricane as you guys call them, so I can do a red deer hunt. Finding water shouldn't be a problem!

Then later in the year I'll have a go at Chital deer. Hopefully my eye will be in and my legs strong for Africa.

For Bona-Fides, I was in Rhodesia in the 1977-79 years of the terror war. Spent a lot of time in the Midlands, the ranch country where hunters who weren't too scared of terrorists came to enjoy the fabulous country and it's people that USED to exist there.
My advise to you, which is born out of personal observation and experience is that you verify VERY CAREFULLY what specific cap and powder supplies are "NO problem to get" in Mozambique.
I recommend that you ask for references from your outfitter for contact information of recent hunters who also used a caplock muzzleloader and depended upon the supplies provided in Mozambique.
Back in the day, we had a fellow come over to hunt plains game with a gorgeous flintlock longrifle from the Williamsburg,VA gun shop.
The poor guy had so many "issues" with powder that he gave up on the muzzleloader and borrowed a Weatherby to get some actual hunting done.
That was a long time ago and I hope things are better, but I'd not bet the hunt of a lifetime on an outfitters assurances.
Good Luck, and we're certainly looking forward to pictures..!!
BTW: the Bushpig (aka: Forest Hog) is some of the best eating available over there, unless you get a young Eland. :thumbsup:

The water reference was regarding the local cyclone here. It's a big one and raining hard.

In regards to powder, it's not possible to fly with it but PH assures me he can get it no problem.

Had no trouble last time I hunted south Africa.

Thanks for the info Don. I hunted two years back in south Africa. You can check my threads for pics. They had Wano and cci caps. That's what I use here so should be fine. I'll take a bow as well for bushpig and other critters.

Hoping to get the sable hunt on camera so will post the video if possible. Lots of baboons too for practice!

Zimbabwe is a beautiful country. No black powder hunting allowed though as far as I know. Want to go there for giraffe and buffalo.

You have the hunt of a lifetime coming. Yes, don't get stingy with photos. Good luck on all your trophies.

Kapow said:
In regards to powder, it's not possible to fly with it but PH assures me he can get it no problem.

Had no trouble last time I hunted south Africa.

I go on a South African forum and they have quite a problem now getting any real black powder. Drop me a P.M. and I'll give you the link. You can ask the locals there about powder availability in ZA and Mozambique.

What is your point? I've been there and had no trouble with powder before. Why wouldn't I go back? It's a simple matter of checking that it is in hand before I go.

If something goes wrong I'll simply use the bow. Why let negativity enter into an amazing trip? I'd never leave home otherwise?

I wonder, can you ship your own Black Powder and caps to the PH ahead of you arrival? Or buy from a vendor here and have them ship both ahead of your arrival? Might cost you a little more but considering the cost of your hunt to begin with I would think that cost over all would be just a pittance. That way you would be sure you have it when you arrive. DANNY

Nope you just ask your outfitters to procure it and confirm when they have done so. Then if they lie you don't pay them. Simple!

Too much noise gets made of it to be honest. It's probably harder to get it in Australia. Yet I never seem to run out.

I think people that stress over such things would tend to not leave home anyway. There's always some hiccup in Africa and travel generally.

Maybe I'll do some scuba diving first to give enough time for my baggage to arrive?! 😂

I agree 100%. Good for you and have fun.

I am planning to be in AU sometime in September/Oct. of this year. Also good chance I will shoot a critter or two with a ML.

Fleener

Okay you say don't pay them. Are they going to pay the air fare you payed for to get there and back? If I paid for a muzzleloader hunt and the PH lied saying he had BP and didn't I sure as **** would be demanding the refund for all my air fare. You see I wouldn't have gone all the way to Africa wanting/expecting to hunt with a muzzle loader, if the PH would have been honest, if that was truly my goal to hunt with a muzzleloader. DANNY

Kapow said:
The water reference was regarding the local cyclone here. It's a big one and raining hard.

Saw the news article where a bull shark was left high and dry as the waters receded.

We got African Safari hunts here in Okeechobee; just about everything in Africa can be hunted and taken in Florida.

I'll send you some pics of the hunt Danny, to put your mind at rest. No matter how much planning you do, things can go wrong. You just take the learning, adapt and move forward. Cheers mate.

Back