• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sabots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Do Sabots come in different lengths? If the plastic of the sabot is longer than the bullet does it make any difference. Should the extra plastic be cut shorter? What can anyone tell me about this situation.

I will give you my humble 2 cents. Sabots can come in different lengths - depending on the weight of the bullet.

I am not sure that cutting the wings is a good ideal, the tip of the wing is specially designed to move away from the bullet at a given rate all the way around.

If you order bullets and sabots together you certainly will get the right sabots, but that is the expensive way to go. I myself buy boxes of bullets and then purchase sabots to fit my rifle - not all sabots will go down every rifle, unlike center fire barrels there is no such standard for muzzloader barrels, therefore they do vary.

One example I will give you is that I use TC Mag sabots and I often short a shorter 240 grain XTP - the sabot is longer than the bullet and it does shoot very well.

One thing with any muzzleloader - experiment - eperiment you will find your right combination - what works really well for me might not work for you...

90-something percent of all sabots are designed to have their petals open (fold over) in flight. Do not cut them! If you buy your plastic sabots separately, every rifle shoots differently so test them first for accuracy & sabot wear. A small percentage of plastic sabots (T/C Break Open and Precision/MMP 40/50s) will see all or some petals falling off in flight.

Latest posts

Back