• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

saliva as a patch lube for hunting deer in late season ok or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not.
Since you don't know when you will get a shot, a grease lube will keep the patch "wet" while saliva will eventually dry. This allows you to keep the gun loaded until you get a shot, even if it takes all season....

Also, if you leave a spit patch in the bore for a while, it will rust.

Spence

so saliva is used when you are going to shoot right away then clean right away so rust dont form

That's the way I do it, and it works very well for me.

Sometimes when I'm just wandering in the woods shooting stumps and rocks, I wet a strip of patch material, which I normally cut at the muzzle, wring it out well, tie it on the strap of my shot pouch. It does a good job, is fast and convenient, stays damp enough to do the job for a long time.

Spence

Sure can!....If you're only going to hunt for an hour or two and you discharge your gun before coming home and then you clean your gun....

Otherwise use some type of grease as others have stated.....Beeswax and olive oil mix for me...

Could also start an unwanted Fire from the smoldering Patch !! Get a tin of Mink Oil from track of the Wolf. Lasts a long time and provides great accuracy...

Here in the Pa. late season one never knows what to expect !! Seen it bone dry to sloppy wet conditions. I also like Track`s Mink Oil when I use my ball Board. Keeps the Patch nice and lubricated..

Lead Slinger said:
Here in the Pa. late season one never knows what to expect !! Seen it bone dry to sloppy wet conditions. I also like Track`s Mink Oil when I use my ball Board. Keeps the Patch nice and lubricated..

I use spit patch for target shooting (woods walk) and bore butter for hunting. Tried the mink oil in my trade gun, found it too slippery, changed my poi. Spit patch and bore butter gave me the same poi.

Lots of options....

I know one guys who uses 3 or so drops of hope's #9 on a patch. When he hunts, he takes a piece of cardboard or better yet wasp's nest between the patch and the powder.

I personally use The Dutch shoultz system....

However, I have done the hope's #9 in the past and gotten good results from it too.

Saliva would be a wonderful convenient patch lube for deer hunting if the deer would notify you about his exact arrival on the scene within five of even ten minutes of your loading your rifle.
Saliva will tend to dry up quickly.
However dried saliva might be better than some ultra slick lube

Dutch

So while the consensus seems to be Not to use Saliva as the first load, you might still want to know how your ML shoots with a spit patch load. I made a habit while bear hunting to keep a few (2-3) patches between cheek and gum. I needed a 2nd shot and my hunting partner said he had never heard a ML get off a 2nd shot so fast :idunno: I can't remember much about that reload, but I sometimes do the same with my .32 rabbit hunting, and I know it makes me faster by a fair bit.

Sean Gardner,
Ifb you are bear hunting the need for a quick second shot could be very important and your method of having a moist spit patch so handy makes enormous good sense.
If your first shot annoyed the bear who now knows where you are. any number of follow up shots might be required in a very short time.
I think your solution makes very good sense.

Dutch

Back