• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Same Nipple Size Umberti and Pieta?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeshen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a set of Treso nipples (M5.5x.9) which worked great on an Umberti 1858 New Army Remington. I no longer have the gun and am considering getting a new Pieta of the same model. Will those nipples fit that gun also?

According to Ampco/Treso applications, M5.5 X .9 is noted to fit "Newer Italian" Revolvers; the M6 X .75 is noted to fit "Older Italian" Revolvers. There is no distinction between manufacturers ... this makes sense in a way, since neither Uberti nor Pietta stock nipples are dimensionally worth squat, and are likely all made by the same [inept] contractor.

I'd venture far enough to bet Good Cheer's next paycheck that they'll fit the next Pietta you buy - they fit all my Pietta's just fine :thumbsup:

I can't say that I understand the world of nipples too well which is why I am asking the question, but - isn't there is difference in thread size between the two. How can the "Uberti" size threads fit in your "Pietta" cylinder? Do they feel correct when you thread them? Is the difference in thread size so minute that it really does not matter?

CKeshen said:
I can't say that I understand the world of nipples too well which is why I am asking the question, but - isn't there is difference in thread size between the two. How can the "Uberti" size threads fit in your "Pietta" cylinder? Do they feel correct when you thread them? Is the difference in thread size so minute that it really does not matter?

M5.5 X .9mm Ampco nipples fit my Pietta Remingtons better than the substandard factory nipples. The Treso/Ampco nipples are made for #11 caps.

When your Pietta 1858 arrives, and if the Ampco Nipples for some reason don't fit, I'll buy them from you ... provided they're in good shape.

AZbpBurner - I do not doubt you for one minute that they work. I will have my new Pietta on Tuesday and I'll get a chance to see for myself. When I ordered the new gun, based on what GoodCheer said earlier in this thread I ordered a set of AMPCO 6mm X .75 nipples to go with the new gun. If they both work I will just have a good excuse to buy another gun - either Uberti OR Pietta.

Thanks for your comments - I would not have thought to even try them on the Pietta if it were not for your comments. I'll let you know how it works out.

Do a search for slix-shot nipples, there about 36.00 for 6 and they work very well on my pieta 1858.

Steve

CKeshen said:
AZbpBurner - I do not doubt you for one minute that they work. I will have my new Pietta on Tuesday and I'll get a chance to see for myself. When I ordered the new gun, based on what GoodCheer said earlier in this thread I ordered a set of AMPCO 6mm X .75 nipples to go with the new gun. If they both work I will just have a good excuse to buy another gun - either Uberti OR Pietta.

Thanks for your comments - I would not have thought to even try them on the Pietta if it were not for your comments. I'll let you know how it works out.

Those M6 X .75mm will fit my older 1967 Uberti 1860 Colt Army and also 1969 Uberti 1861 Colt Navy, but the thread pitch is different - if you try to install them in your newer Pietta, you could bugger up either threads in the cylinder or the nipples.

When you are satisfied that they won't fit, I would be able to put them to use ...

Hi guys I have a 1980 uberti 1858, is the nipple thread size the same as current models or were the early ones have a different thread size?
Thanks

Rick

According to Jamey at DGW who I spoke to when I purchased the Pietta, and the Possible Shop website, the M6 X .75mm size is what the newer Pietta's take.

CKeshen said:
According to Jamey at DGW who I spoke to when I purchased the Pietta, and the Possible Shop website, the M6 X .75mm size is what the newer Pietta's take.

Interesting - I'm anxious to see what you actually get. My newest Pietta is a little over a year old, so any changes must be REALLY recent.

I received my new Pietta (44 cal. Rem) and also bought a new Umberti (36 cal. Rem).

Here's how things worked out.

As stated the M5.5 X .9 fit the Umberti perfectly.

They will also work in the Pietta, but the fit is a little loose and you can feel it as you screw them it, but they will tighten down.

The M6x x .75 fit the Pietta perfectly, but will not fit into the Umberti at all because they are too big of a diameter.

Both of my guns are now fitted with the appropriate Ampco nipples and shoot great with them.

Does anyone know the exact nipple size for a 1860 Uberti Army Colt? Ampco preferred. Thanks in advance. Oh, and where would be the best place to purchase them, DGW? Again thank you.

gh

Back