• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

San Diego Late M/L doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimikinz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I figured I would share my season with you all. I love reading other reports, and this year was kind of eventful, so here goes: I took it right down to the wire and filled my second tag this year on the afternoon of the last day! :grin
:
It has really struck me that the lesson the Lord is teaching me this year in regards to hunting is that of keeping a positive attitude in the face of adversity, and perseverance. I stuck out 9 days in CO with only one sighting, and ended up killing a little buck literally on the drive out. Then my first local tag this year treated me to horrendous crowds and a comedy of errors that I had to talk myself through, but
I ended up killing another little buck!

It is working, but He is really grinding the lesson in. I do seem to be reaping the rewards of an improved attitude...and that is OK with me!!

I got to spend a couple nights out this fall, which was great. Cold weather with some snow and this beach kid was worried!! But I was OK. I learned some more about my gear and using it in colder than average weather. Here is my little deer camp:

I spent a couple nights there on the opener, but was overrun by bird hunters, there were ZERO deer around, and My buddy had a lion come through the same area that kinda freaked him out, so that put me on edge at night :surrender: . But I had fun, and that's what matters.

Fast forward to the last day of the season. I had put in 7 days of this:

But had not even seen a deer!! So here I am on the last day. The previous day I hunted from 0600 to 1500 then went to work until 0230. I had to really talk myself into going again this morning...I was TIRED, and another night with only a couple hours sleep was going make it worse.

But I went back to the theme of my year - perseverance. So I got up and went. And it turns out that it was one of those days when you can feel it...its gonna be good!

I bumped a deer on the way in, one walked by before light, and from 0700 to 0800, 6 does filtered through that would not leave the thick stuff to give me a shot! What a morning. About 10:30 I was cold and bored, so I took a walk around and found some hot trails that I put in the memory bank for next year.

Here is where the rubber hit the road for me. I had to leave for work by 2:30, and I was tired, but I told myself to watch my watch and sit it out until 1:45 and walk out. At 1:30 I stood up to stretch my legs and had one last talk with myself to give it that last 15.

Well, about 10 seconds after I took a seat, a doe poked her head out of the brush at 15 yards! I had cleared the leaves out from behind a big boulder, so I was able to move my hands a bit to get ready, and when she had her head behind a little tree, I brought the gun up. I made a little adjustment when she cleared the brush and let the flint fall.

I hope I never lose the rush that comes on after a shot! I took me a few to stop shaking, and when I did I reloaded, then waited 10 minutes to be safe. I knew it was a perfect hit ( from 15 yards it better be.. :rotf: ) so off I went.
This is what you want to see. Its a shaky pic because I was till hopped up! http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/jimikinz/Mountian Man/2013bloodtrail_zps045bf539.jpg

Solid blood for about 50 yards, then I see this.

I said my thanks to the deer, took a few photos, filled out my tag, and got to work.

It was going to be tough to make it to work on time, but my boss will understand! They know I'm the weird guy who hunts ( this is CA after all).
I ended up gutting her, throwing her across my shoulders, and making the 1/4 mile hike uphill (phew!) to the truck. I ended up being 10 minutes late, not to bad!!

So that is my season. One for the books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, great story and so glad you had success.

Perseverance is definitely a quality that serves hunters well! If I'm getting anxious, I think back to those "last minute" deer I've taken, or those times I didn't want to get up and did and got deer as a result. Helps to keep me going.

Beautiful doe and great shot! Congratulations! :hatsoff:

Good story, good photos...definitely looks like you toughed it out and earned that one, congratulations!
:thumbsup:

Is hard when you pushing yourself every day for a long time, and worse when you're not seeing any or many...then the battle with the electric blanket gets harder, LOL...but I keep reminding myself:
"I can't tag them sitting on my couch"

Great post and my heartiest congratulations on your success. I'm still working at it but it's been so much fun so far, I'm only semi-disappointed! Good work, way to hang in there!

Outstanding attitude, story and great success! My hats of to you for sticking with it. :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Congratulations, great story. Hunting and perseverance are synonymous. Life and hunting teach us great lessons. Thanks for sharing with us.

Good for you. I'm reminded of a few quotes: 'Endeavor to persevere', 'patience is a virtue', 'Never, never, never, never, never give up'. You have them all, and the freezer is full.

Filling the tag on opening day ruins the hunt anyway.

I've never been to California (luckily) but correspond with several hunters there. None has ever killed a deer in SoCal so you deserve every bit of congrats that come your way.

:hatsoff:

Jim, you certainly earned that doe. Way to stick to it and keep a great attitude. Like the others, I have a hard time putting "San Diego" and "deer hunting" in the same paragraph, although I killed my first two deer up in Humboldt County in the 1970s. It's oddly comforting to know that muzzleloader deer hunting survives in Southern California. Have a great 2014!

What a great story--and great hunt! You will enjoy reliving it all winter long--along with some great venison! Congratulations!

Congratulations on that deer! :hatsoff:
I like your story and the pictures and you really earned it!
I am till working on my first flintlock deer and you inspired me to keep it up - thank you.

Silex

I did put on my usual little "seminar" for the neighbors and kids around us while hanging it in the garage and processing it. Kids universally show nothing but curiosity and wonder. The parents can take it from there however they see fit.

I feel like I'm doing my part to keep a little reality in the world here. Most people are very receptive. We're not all fruity and nutty.

Latest posts

Back