• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sat is opening day N.Y. what will you carry??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
this saterday is the first day of muzzleloader here in N.Y., how many of ya are going and what will you you carry for a rifle? i will be using my 45. cal "Miss Fish" Saterday & Sunday. monday is will carry my 62. T.V.M fowler and hope to help it earn a name. i live in Johnstown N.Y. and have alot of great places to hunt if anyone would like to go. i will be hunting Sat,Sun,Mon,Thurs,&Friday, you are more than welcome to join me. good luck to all!!!
Ken

this saterday is the first day of muzzleloader here in N.Y., how many of ya are going and what will you you carry for a rifle? i will be using my 45. cal "Miss Fish" Saterday & Sunday. monday is will carry my 62. T.V.M fowler and hope to help it earn a name. i live in Johnstown N.Y. and have alot of great places to hunt if anyone would like to go. i will be hunting Sat,Sun,Mon,Thurs,&Friday, you are more than welcome to join me. good luck to all!!!
Ken

Sorry to get off topic but lots of Mass hunters have given up on NY due to new regs concerning CWD, you have to have the deer totally processed to bring it home, see below:

Well, its official. The Massachusetts Fisheries and Wildlife Board voted unanimously at it Sept. 28 meeting to institute regulations designed to prevent Chronic Wasting Disease from entering Massachusetts. CWD is a fatal neurological disorder known to affect white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk and (just confirmed for the first time in Colorado) moose.

Based on the scientific recommendations of staff and the testimony of the public, the Board has now voted to enact regulations that make it illegal for anyone to import, process or possess whole carcasses or parts of deer or elk (from wild or captive deer herds) from states and Canadian provinces where CWD has been detected. New York is one such state. The only exceptions to the regulations are meat that is deboned, cleaned skull caps, hides and taxidermy mounts. By restricting importation to these specific deer parts, the importation of neurological tissue

Massachusetts= California East.
Pa is also banning the importation of deer 'parts' w/ brain/spial cord remnant contamination...from all the CWD states...they do alot of testing looking for it in the PA herd & so far, none found...

johnstown? ain't real far from caroga lake, have you been to a bp shoot at caroga fish and game?? where do you hunt? i ain't fer from ya.....during the season, otherwise it's 40 miles, hunt the adirondacks,up above pine[url] lake.....goin[/url] to the nysmla primitive rendezvous at moose river plains this week, leavin wed, stay till probably next wed...thurs.. whenever..BIG COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
RC,
i watch the caroga shoot when they have it, good time, great shooters there. i auctually hunt on 10a between Rockwood and Caroga. are you going to be around next week? the area i hunt has quite a good deer population and i generally get one with the muzzleloader. can't promise ya a buck but i think i can show ya deer.
Ken

BobW and I will be heading up to my cabin in St. Lawrence Co. on Friday. Hunting Sat., Sun., and if necessary on Monday. We typically float hunt the Indian River at least one of those days and do OK. Should be beautiful up there, even if it's wet like they are calling for. How far are you from say, Black River?

First muzzleloader season out, Will use my .45 underhammer up near sacandaga lake, town of Day area.

Saturday is also opening day for black powder in my native North Georgia Mountains :). I've got a pretty nice bear programed so I stand a fair chance of scoring,I think! I'll be using my Hershel House Southern Mountain Rifle,.50cal with 72gr 3f pushing a .495 ball patched with a beeswax/bear oil lubed denim .017 patch :thumbsup:.

Hi Ken,
We met before on another site. I'll be carrying my custom .54 Lancaster flinter from the start of the BP season through December. All I'll use this year.

I'll also be at the Moose River Rendezvous over the weekend. I'll be the cold wet guy shivering under the small diamond fly and clutching a new flinter. Anybody have a cup of warm apple pie for a cold reenactor?

Britches

they're gonna have cups of warm apple pie at the moose??? gees hope i get my miniwall up before they pass that around or it'll look like a diamond fly !!!see ya there britches, i'm leavin first thing in the morning...gonna help guard the clams!!!!!!!!!!!!! RC

hey boys, when is the open day at the Moose? if the weather is really crappy BobW and I may make a road trip down there. I went by here several years ago but it wasn't open to the public that day. Sure would love to snoop around and maybe pick up some pointers and meet some people.

You guys are making me homesick for my old stomping grounds. I grew up in St. Lawrence county. When I left in 1981 the sight of a deer was a big event. I remember in the mid seventies seeing a deer track in the snow across one of our fields and calling some of the neighbors to come see. They wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Now Dad can't make his daily 2 mile walk without seeing some. He still lives in the North Country on the northern edge of Ft. Drum. I may have to start going back for the muzzleloader season. How long does it last and has anyone ever flown with a muzzleloader? I know I would have to buy powder when I got there, but are there any other restrictions about flying with them. Good luck to all of you. Mart

sunday is public day...come on up! should be a BIG lodge straight in from the gate, called the FRIENDSHIP LODGE, nice warm and dry......but wear your boots, ceiling gets kinda close in there......

I,ll be hunting the Caroga lake F&G club property with a few of the other members.If it keeps raining I,ll have to break down and use one of my caplocks, either a 54 or my little shortie 58.If it stops my .62 flint will be my choice.

You guys are making me homesick for my old stomping grounds. I grew up in St. Lawrence county. When I left in 1981 the sight of a deer was a big event. I remember in the mid seventies seeing a deer track in the snow across one of our fields and calling some of the neighbors to come see. They wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Now Dad can't make his daily 2 mile walk without seeing some. He still lives in the North Country on the northern edge of Ft. Drum. I may have to start going back for the muzzleloader season. How long does it last and has anyone ever flown with a muzzleloader? I know I would have to buy powder when I got there, but are there any other restrictions about flying with them. Good luck to all of you. Mart

Hey Mart, Flying should be no different than flying with any other gun, but be warned, you better make arrangements to have some powder waiting for you when you get here or you may get stuck with Pyrodex. The laws in NY have changed and it is vary difficult for most places to carry the stuff now. I'm still looking for someone within 50 miles who carries true BP. :curse: :curse:

bbassi,

Thanks for the reply. Before I made any solid plans I would find some powder in the area and have Dad secure it for me. I would prefer to use a flint rifle and round ball but if BP was unavailable might be forced to use percussion. Thanks again. Mart

Latest posts

Back