• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saw this and thought it had potential

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Vendors add: “Calibre/Item: 44 smoothbore
Make: Custom
Model: Target
Condition: Excellent
Price: $800.00 [$531 USD]
Advertised: 02/06/2024
Comment: Smooth bore flintlock pistol, proven international worthy shooter. Custom built by the late John Humblerstone. All quality parts . Regretful sale. Price plus postage .” with this photo [cloth background] /
Doesn’t look “excellent’’.

Still doesn’t look “excellent “ [other photos].
So I offered $400 with the observation that it had potential as a project.’
He declined and said,
‘Sorry,
This pistol has travelled all around the world shooting in international competitions.
I feel it is in great condition, but I would definitely not take $400 as I have been offered more.
Sorry for the inconvenience.’’

‘’To which I replied;
‘’Go for it , Mark.
It certainly looks well travelled.

Cheers,
Eoin.’’[

And, in my book, the tray of a ute/truck is not the best background when one is trying to sell.

Attachments

• IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6252.jpeg
    IMG_6252.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I agree, definitely not 'excellent' but does look well traveled, unless he can verify that it's a 'proven international shooter' then I would say he's asking too much. Would be a neat project gun for sure if he'd come down.

Looks well executed with good inlet parts, and the checkering looks nice...but what happened to the stock finish? Stored in a damp box in the back of the truck? I think you made a fair offer for something that needs work.

It might be a fun gun.

The rust may be a blueing style from that era, but the wood has not been well taken care of.

If I had that it would be polished aka Formbys applied from time to time to keep it sealed.

I assume it was 400 lbs you offered?

I actually have mixed feelings on the price. Its a pretty neat gun.

If it was in the US I would have my brother look at the pictures and or get better ones and assess if the wood can be cleaned up to better condition. If you have some kind of wood finish resource it would be worth it to check in with them on that.

'Round here we'd call that "rode hard 'n put up wet!"

Maybe he'll come down after a bit and you'll get a chance to make her shine.

It might be a fun gun.

The rust may be a blueing style from that era, but the wood has not been well taken care of.

If I had that it would be polished aka Formbys applied from time to time to keep it sealed.

I assume it was 400 lbs you offered?

I actually have mixed feelings on the price. Its a pretty neat gun.

If it was in the US I would have my brother look at the pictures and or get better ones and assess if the wood can be cleaned up to better condition. If you have some kind of wood finish resource it would be worth it to check in with them on that.

Nope, $s, we gave up on £s back in 1966.

Comment: Smooth bore flintlock pistol, proven international worthy shooter. Custom built by the late John Humblerstone. All quality parts . Regretful sale. Price plus postage .” with this photo [cloth background] /

He declined and said,
‘Sorry,
This pistol has travelled all around the world shooting in international competitions.
I feel it is in great condition, but I would definitely not take $400 as I have been offered more.

‘’To which I replied;
‘’Go for it , Mark.

Cheers,
Eoin.’’[

And, in my book, the tray of a ute/truck is not the best background when one is trying to sell.
I have always wondered about the accuracy of a smooth bore at pistol ranges. I have a cousin who introduced me to muzzle loaders before my teens and we both have been actively using them now for over 60 years. I have never used a smooth bore in competition. My cousin insists that a smooth bore long gun properly loaded is as accurate as a rifle out to about 75 yards but I have never believed him.
I wonder the accuracy potential of this gun at 25 and 50 yards ?

Last edited:

He declined and said,
‘Sorry,

‘’To which I replied;
‘’Go for it , Mark.

Cheers,
Eoin.’’[

So you would have seen this one then? I’ve been tempted but only if it came with the sword😁. I knew a John Humberstone over at SSAA Para in SA, wonder if it same? He would have travelled Int shooting in MLAIC comps, still looks rough as guts though.
IMG_0559.jpeg

Darn, I saw the Kilt and did not look at where you were located! That what I get for assuming.
You’re not alone😀😀, but I do live in a district called New England and one that pushes for Statehood every now and then.
The State of New South Wales, wherein we are located, and which is usually called NSW, tends to forget about the country areas, so NSW is said to stand for Newcastle , Sydney and Wollongong, our three largest cities.

So you would have seen this one then? I’ve been tempted but only if it came with the sword😁. I knew a John Humberstone over at SSAA Para in SA, wonder if it same? He would have travelled Int shooting in MLAIC comps, still looks rough as guts though.View attachment 342389
I looked at that too, but only out of curiosity, but if the sword were thrown in . . . . .
Same dealer as I got my 1860 Army from, good trustworthy bloke.

Same John Humbertstone; could there have been two, of that name interested in muzzleloaders?

You’re not alone😀😀, but I do live in a district called New England and one that pushes for Statehood every now and then.
The State of New South Wales, wherein we are located, and which is usually called NSW, tends to forget about the country areas, so NSW is said to stand for Newcastle , Sydney and Wollongong, our three largest cities.

Have you ever had a pie floater? I saw them on the cooking show and it looked good.

Have you ever had a pie floater? I saw them on the cooking show and it looked good.
I’m originally from Adelaide, the home of the pie floater, nope never had one or likely to ever. Until you’ve driven past the van on a Sunday morning and seen the gutters after a night on the turps and a pie floater, you’re a braver man than me😁

Back