• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scope mount removal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a used T/C Hawkin from a pawn shop.

It has a scope mounted, but I didn't think that was a issue, that should be simple to fix.

I have no idea what they guy used to cement the screws into the barrel, but they've been extremely stubborn.

Well, after using penetrating oil with vibrating, tapping, lightly heating the mount, and even lightly heating the barrel under the mounts they're still stuck, and the slots on the screws at this point are stripped.

My next step is to cut most of the mount off then deepen the slots on the screws with my rotozip to try again.

Does anyone else have a better idea?

Dave M

If you're going to fill the screw holes in the barrel anyway, here's the best and easiest way.

Pick a drill bit just about the same size as the screw heads. Punch the screw for a start or put the gun on a drill press. Now drill down just far enough to cut through the base of the screw heads, kind of like drilling a rivet before removing it.

Now lift off the scope bases, and you shoud have pegs sticking up rather than screws. You can probably grab those with vise grips and turn them out, or simply file them down flush and hit them with touchup blue to turn them into plugs for the screw holes you were going to fill anyway.

Been there, done that.

In a side note, I decided on one gun to use "official" plug screws, so I removed the now-headless screws. Couldn't find any plug screws the right size, so I ended up cutting down the old screws, slotting them, bluing them, and reinstalling them. What a PITA!

When a person says "lightly heating" a part it's hard to guess how hot "lightly" might be but, most epoxies and thread locking compounds break down and loose all of their strength if the metal surfaces are heated to over 470 degrees F.
Heating a barrel to this temperature (or even up to 550 degrees F) won't hurt it a bit so, if your trying to break loose a screw you suspect was installed with a thread locking compound heat it up to about 500 degrees. Then let it cool, add some penetrating oil and try removing the screw.

ADD to what Z said I once had one that got me so mad I got it red hot (mount) and co2d the barrel yep they came right out. Drill em out do it the right way the first time. Fred :hatsoff:

Well, I didn't get a chance to read the previous 2 replies, and I was afraid of overheating the barrel and loosing the temper.

I did follow up with my original plan and it worked.

I used a rotozip to cut off the top of the scope mounts, then deepen the screw slots. This gave me enough that I could with difficulty torque them off.

I can see the original owner not only put some sort of glue or epoxy down the screw treads but laid a bead between the screw holes to bind the mount to the barrel.

Obviously this was a man who never planned on the scope ever being removed.

scaled.php

hmmm... does anyone know how to get this embedded image working?

For next time...or FYI

One thing I do sometimes is too get an old screwdriver and heat it red not and then hold it in the screw slot. This will localize the heat transfer and then try a good fitting screwdriver in the slot. If you can a small TIG tip grounded on the screwhead will also transfer heat and loosen the screw. A bit of heat and allowance to cool to room temperture (via the expansion and contraction of the screw) will often flex the shaft enough to crack the sealer/rust and allow the screw to be removed...

Latest posts

Back