• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

scope mounts for GM barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if its that easy to take off ill give it a try :hatsoff: use the stuff at work and have to grind it off.Could use bases for round barrel then ?,because the JB weld would fill in.

sjf,
They don't scuff the barrel at all. I will see if I have one for a 15/16"" barrel.
Mark

sjf,
I'm sorry, I have 2 of the scope bases but one is 7/8" and the other is 1". There is not enough flexibility to squeeze the 1" down. In reading the other posts, the JB Weld might be your best bet for a temporary mount.
Mark

Spend the money to get a flat base. They don't cost that much. Check with Brownells, or some of the other suppliers. You already have the scope rings, so all you need is a flat base. :thumbsup:

sjf said:
Well if its that easy to take off ill give it a try :hatsoff: use the stuff at work and have to grind it off.Could use bases for round barrel then ?,because the JB weld would fill in.
Yep, it is near impossible to remove cold but heat makes it soft and gummy. You need to work it while it is still hot, if you let it cool it is nearly as strong as before and if you take pains to get both surfaces clean and oil free it holds tons. You could get by with a round bottomed base but it is so much easier to get the flat base sitting flat with an octagon barrel and a thin layer of epoxy is stronger than a thick blob. :wink:

You would think with all the stuff Ive gathered over the years Id have flat bases :cursing: ,Ill order some bases from Brownells and keep the JB thin. Thanks Paulvallandigham and Coyote Joe for the advice.

sjf,
When I need flat scope bases I take the concave ones and put them on a belt sander. Cheaper to modify what you aren't using anyway than buy new.
Mark

Dont have a beltsander Papa wish I did,would be easier to just get the type of bases that the barrels drilled and tapped for ,like it states in the litature that came with the barrel.So I E-mailed GReenMountain barrels to see what they say,they may have a specific kind that fits real good(hope I'm not dreaming).Should hear from them soon so I can get on with this project :v .Did find a two piece base set for flat barrels for under five bucks,but ill have to JB these which is no big deal.Like to find a single base though checked Brownells but didnt find anything.

I purchased a single-piece scope base from Thompson Center a few years ago. It accepts weaver style rings. The base fits over the same screws that secure the rear sight and also on my muzzleloader there is an additional tapped screw hole on the very end of the barrel. The scope base stays in place with 3 screws which are included.

I recall during my conversation with TC, the base was in short supply and cost about $60. I called TC since I didn’t want to guess on an improper fit with a dissimilar manufactured item. This is TC’s customer service, contact info if you care to make an inquiry.
email: [email protected]
(603)-330-5659

I occasionally use a scope on my BigBore .58 cal for shooting sabots with 45cal bullets that I cast myself. It’s a nice change from firing MaxiBalls with iron sights.

Thats exactly what Im looking for :bow: !!!! Thanks MMarke :thumbsup:

Found a one piece base for only $47.50 at the Log Cabin Shop,also some .400 lead balls.See how it shoots now ,Thanks for everyones input :hatsoff: .

Back