• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scored Some Venison Today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, sounds good. Did you buy chance build you rifle? Do you have the brass plate on the bottom of your butt stock and if so how is it mated to the butt plate?

A picture would be great if it's not to much trouble, i'm just having a hard time picturing how to mate them up so it looks good.

I don't know about the sgt., but you mount the " TOE PLATE" so that the end closest to the buttplate has to be filed to meet the angle of the bottom of the buttplate. To do this:

1. Remove the buttplate. Set our toeplate stock so that its back edge is at the end of the wood, and it sticks a bit out on the front edge beyond the end of the wood in the toe. The buttplate should not be able to be put back on the stock with the toeplate positioned here.

2. Not inlet the plate, shaped as you desire, and drill 2 holes for screws to hold the plate to the stock.

3. Finally, file the back end of the toe plate so that it allows the buttplate to be replaced, and the two plates meet in a close " marriage".

Be very careful here. It takes only a few strokes with a fire on a brass toeplate to remove the necessary brass metal to fit the buttplate. Its very easy to remove TOO MUCH METAL! :thumbsup:

Paul, from the way it looks to me the butt plate will extend below the toe plate so I end up with the right shape for the butt plate that hangs out in space all by itself or I file the brass so both are flush and the bottom of the butt plate will be squared off instead pointed top and bottom like it seems it should be.

It would be nice to see how a different Kentucky Rifle turned out, maybe this one has the stock cut to deep or i'm just not seeing it as I should.

Thanks for the post though, I did pick out some good points from it.

I`m not a gunbuilder, but I have assembled several "kit guns". In my experience the kits do not fit together perfect right from the box. You`ll probably have to do some fileing, and shapeing of some of the parts to get a perfect fit. You might also have to remove some wood from the lock and trigger areas of the stock to get everything to line up right. It`s not hard, just make sure you take your time, cause once ya remove to much material you can`t put it back.

Some people like the toe of the buttplate to extend below the toeplate. It apparently has to do with where they place the stock on their shoulders.

With some of the surviving original rifles, you see the buttplate extending below the toe of the stock, but that is usually the result of the wood shrinking over more than 100 years, and not by human design.

I still think you will like the gun better if you file the toe of the buttplate to meet the edge of the toeplate.

I'm not sure it would look right either way, but filing it square sounds better.

I'll see when I get to it, right now i've got to many things on my plate, probably after X-Mas.

Back