• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

scrap yard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
when i go to the scrap yard what kind of lead do i ask for? i know i want pure lead but in what application is pure lead used that would be in a scrap yard and what should i stay away from? i dont have a tester but is there a way to test without one?

Plumbing lead seems to be pretty pure so to is that used for roofing.

Most places SHOULD let you pick through what they have...take a tester or at least a thumbnail :wink:

Tap it on a piece of metal or concrete, it shouldnt ring but have a dull thud .

I bought 230 #s at a local scrap yard - all roofing lead. If you can easily scratch the lead with your thumbnail, it should work. (Test a piece of new plumbers lead at a plumbers supply for a comparison).

If the chunk of lead you want to buy is about a pound or two drop in on concrete. If it is hard it will ring. If it is soft it will thud. Dental lead, clamp on wheel weights, and chilled lead shot melted into ingots will all ring, and they are all about 12 BHN. For mini balls like the Lee with thin skirts you will want SOFT lead. The skirt is thin, and could break if the lead is hard. Also hard lead bullets will be "bigger" in diameter but lighter than soft lead bullets. Bigger bullets = hard to get down depending on the bullets size and the bore of the gun. Ron

The only lead I have ever used is telephone cable sheath. I get mine free. It's about 7 BHN. Scrap yards might have it. The local phone co. might have it in their yard also.

HD

I just picked up 400# of lead pipe and sewer vent flashing for .18 a pound, and they were happy to get rid of it. The scrap yard I deal with had a lot more, just harder stuff. Now they know who to call when they get the soft stuff in.

Bubba45 said:
Tap it on a piece of metal or concrete, it shouldnt ring but have a dull thud .

Ditto, when I get my ingots mixed up, the soft lead and the hard alloy ones are easily determined by a clunk or a clang on the shop floor.

Lead in thin sheets is soft. Lead that has been used for roof flashing around soil stacks is always soft.

Many Klatch

Just bought an old, 58 pound lead shower pan from the place I take my cans to for recycling. $.50/Lb. Chopped it up with hedge trimmers. Very soft lead.

I have had good luck with roof flashing and plumbing lead, pipes and fittings. Also good luck with cable sheathing. I haven't checked myself but the stick on wheel weights are said to be pure lead - The clip ons are not.

The nastiest I ever got was some old lead sewer pipe. Great soft lead but processing definitly needed to be done outside.

Back