• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

screw-barrel jaeger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I've just read a book by W. Cleator, an English author, An Essay on Shooting 1789, and I came across this little statement he made in passing. He was discussing rifles and the various ways of charging them. Anybody know about this?

“.... we are informed, that the pieces used by the Hessian yagers, are charged in the same manner as the common screw-barrel pistols.

Spence

That is a first to me. But, it is not impossible some were so equiped. But it would be more widely known if all Hessian's used screw barrels. I was once invited to join a Hessian reenactment/drill squad. No mention was made that a screw barrel was required. And they were thread countin' persnickity about everything else being 'correct'.
p.s. I didn't join. Couldn't. I fight for the American side of things.

He didn't seem very sure about it, did he? I have no doubt this was not literally a screw-barrel but a mechanism similar, some kind of screw breech plug, for instance. The entire sentence offers a hint:

“Some of the old pieces of this construction, were charged by taking out the breech every time; and we are informed, that the pieces used by the Hessian yagers, are charged in the same manner as the common screw-barrel pistols."

Faulty info will work, too. :grin:

Spence

"...“.... we are informed, that the pieces used by the Hessian yagers, are charged in the same manner as the common screw-barrel pistols."
------------
As the quote was taken out of context when I look at it and see these words my first thought is, "When he says "the pieces" was he speaking of a longarm or a pistol?

If he was speaking of a pistol the "yagers" were carrying it doesn't surprise me.

If he was speaking of a longarm I have difficulty trying to figure out how a rifle barrel could be unscrewed from its receiver unless it was a half stock style gun.

IMO it would be very difficult to give support to the wood of a full stocks forend without pinning it to a barrel. :hmm:

Now, several years ago, when I was at Williamsburg, they had on display an English rifle, with a screw off barrel. Made just like a pistol. If I recall correctly, The Rifle Shoppe has a parts set for a rifle like this...

Not that this type of gun would be used by a Hessian Jaeger, mind you, but it is something that was done on rare occasion.

Besides- what would be the advantage of a screw off barrel. IMO it would be a big disadvantage.

It occurs to me the reference may be to the Ferguson designed mechanism.

Regards,
Squire

New member here fellows, not yet accustomed to posting procedure. Apparently I'm to respond to a post rather than the topic.

Squire

Squire1 said:
It occurs to me the reference may be to the Ferguson designed mechanism.
An expanded quotation shows that he is aware of the Ferguson, but that's not what he's thinking of with the yager remark.

"Some of the old pieces of this construction, were charged by taking out the breech every time; and we are informed, that the peices used by the Hessian yagers, are charged in the same manner as the common screw-barrel pistols. By far the most expeditious way of charging rifled pieces, however, is by means of an ingenious contrivance which now generally goes under the name of Ferguson’s rifle-barrel, from its having been employed by Major Ferguson’s corps of rifle-men during the last American war."

Spence

That makes sense. My knowledge of these historical firearms is sketchy but I believe I've come across a reference to screw barrel pistols before. Perhaps the author presumed a common knowledge among his readers.

Squire

Squire1: You can respond to the topic or to an individual on the forum.
The forum's computer will put in the words, :In response to XXXXXXX with the XXXXXXX being the name of the person who's post you clicked "Reply" on OR, the last person that posted if you use the "Quick Reply" feature.

If you are replying to the original post you might want to scroll back up to his/her post and click on the "Reply" button that's right below their comments.

Presupposes I have something to say Zonie. At this point I'm reading and learning. There is a wealth of information on this Board.

Squire

Screw-barrel types were very commonplace for English pistols and some rifles by the time he was writing this so his familiarity with them can be understood. He seems to be relating hearsay as to the German equivalent.

When the Revolution started the Jaegers carried their own personal owned hunting rifles. Whatever they had. Starting in 1776 all new Jaegers were issued the Pistor pattern military rifle. If you were a veteran Jaeger and your personal hunting rifle became unserviceable, you were issued a Pistor Rifle. There were no issued screw barreled rifles issued to the Jaeger troops. Prior to 1776
if the Jaeger riflemen owned screw barreled rifles
they could have brought them over here in the early part of the war.

Hi,
There were all manner of "screw barrel or screw breech" guns in the 17th and 18th centuries. Ferguson's design (actually a modification of Chaumette's breech) was just one. Some had a screw plug in front of the trigger guard, others had a plug on top of the barrel that did double duty as a crude rear sight. What is confusing about the quote is the statement describing loading the guns like the common screw-barrel pistol. That implies the turn-off barrel pistol that was loaded by unscrewing and removing the barrel. The basic advantages of some sort of screw-breech or screw-barrel system was that the bullet could be made the same diameter as the bore making a good gas seal and increasing the efficiency of the powder charge, and the guns can be loaded while lying down. For a sniper, that last feature could be important.

dave

Latest posts

Back