• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screw driver lookin' thang fer the rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1979 Renegade manual shows a cut-away drawing of the breech and it is shown as a round-bottomed cavity inside the patent breech.
Thanks, all I could get out of them was this:

T/C will not release the breech plug to any one (not even one of their warranty station). The breech plug has a very deep cone in the bottom and the breech plug and the snail are all one part.

If you need yours replaced, send it directly to T/C for any repairs. If you do anything to the breech end, it will void your lifetime warranty.
"Yet they sell breech plug wrenches... Go figure!"

I guess the breech plug borders rocket science... :winking:

I'm sure that T/C uses the same design for all of their side-locks...

MM and Stump, thanks for your help. My T/C Hawken is a '78 model. I don't have a manual for it, just the catalog (#5) and it tells nothing about the breech shape, I'm sure you're right about all their sidelocks being the same. The "deep cone" shape bothers me some but since my scraper is made by T/C, I think it's correct.

Maybe that is why the T/C cleaning jag has a slight taper on it...

I believe the first few bands are smaller than the rest of the jag...

FYI, TC withdrew the breech plug wrenches from marketing years ago...suspect it was a liability issue...they won't sell you one now...won't sell you a breech plug either;

PS: I had TC convert a percussion barrel to flint a couple years ago and they when it came out that they would not be sending my original percussion plug back to me...I had to escalate the service dept up the TC management chain to make it happen.

Told them that while I appreciated their concern for my safety, I bought and paid for that breech plug as part of the percussion barrel in the first place, it was my property, and they had no legal right to keep it...they sent it back with warnings never to install it on a barrel that had their name on it, etc...have it sitting right here.

So from the lack of talk about it, I'm guess'n the GPR ain't got now such animal as a "scraper" fer da inner'ds of the breech plug?

Sound's like an oppertunity fer some crafty devil to start pra-duc'in 'them.

Spot

Back