• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scrimshaw moose antler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote_Kyle

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a bit of my work here. I'm 17 and have been doing scrimshaw for 3 or 4 years now.
Earlier this year, I got a moose antler in a trade, and decided to take on my largest scrimshaw project to date.
IMG_1548.JPG

This is after the pencil sketch was finished, and the outlined penciled in on the antler

Finishing the moose. The antler never took a perfect polish, and was left with a bit of an orange peel texture because the material is very porous. Because of how porous the antler is, I decided to use soot instead of my usual india ink.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Just thought I'd share a bit of my work here. I'm 17 and have been doing scrimshaw for 3 or 4 years now.
Earlier this year, I got a moose antler in a trade, and decided to take on my largest scrimshaw project to date.
View attachment 347086
This is after the pencil sketch was finished, and the outlined penciled in on the antler
Wow, at your age you have a very good chance at becoming a great artist, well done!

Very cool Scrimshaw!! I’m encouraged by someone at your age involved in this craft. Good on you! I also enjoy the antler craft and carved this antler while living in Alaska.
That's a really nice carving!

Latest posts

Back