• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scrimshaw moose antler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's the finished product. Roughly 7-8 hours of work if I had to estimate.
View attachment 347121
Yessir! Keep doing what you are doing! Don’t be afraid to try new techniques and tools; push yourself beyond your comfort level as well. I’ve learned a lot over the past two years. Let me know when you are ready to sell a piece; I prefer to support fellow artists.

Yessir! Keep doing what you are doing! Don’t be afraid to try new techniques and tools; push yourself beyond your comfort level as well. I’ve learned a lot over the past two years. Let me know when you are ready to sell a piece; I prefer to support fellow artists.
Thanks John, I'm always on the lookout for different materials to try! I'll definitely let you know if I ever make a piece I don't get attached to 🤣

Thanks John, I'm always on the lookout for different materials to try! I'll definitely let you know if I ever make a piece I don't get attached to 🤣
Try cow horn next!

Attachments

• 71002391107__EE80D2CC-7560-461B-BACE-F48B340F2132.jpeg
    71002391107__EE80D2CC-7560-461B-BACE-F48B340F2132.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 72481426644__0268330D-A50D-478B-9DB8-5D6C6B16F37B.jpeg
    72481426644__0268330D-A50D-478B-9DB8-5D6C6B16F37B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Attachments

• IMG_1103 2.JPG
    IMG_1103 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1102 2.JPG
    IMG_1102 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Just thought I'd share a bit of my work here. I'm 17 and have been doing scrimshaw for 3 or 4 years now.
Earlier this year, I got a moose antler in a trade, and decided to take on my largest scrimshaw project to date.
View attachment 347086
This is after the pencil sketch was finished, and the outlined penciled in on the antler
that is outstanding work! I have had a lifetime of envy of artists. Mother was an artist. the talent skipped me.
If you aren't too attached to the drawing I would buy that in a second.
I am also one that can't draw even a period.

I really hate you guys that can draw and scrimshaw ... :ghostly:

I stink on ice and if I draw a stickman, he looks like the has scoliosis, a broken leg, twisted arm, and had his head beaten with a bat. :doh:

I tried to scrimshaw a horn once and it just looked like a truck fender that scraped a brick wall ....

Seriously though, I envy anyone that can draw and scrimshaw, nice work!

Try cow horn next!
Nice work! I'd love to, but the only two powder horns I have are really rough or have imperfections that would take hours of sandpaper to remove. Maybe eventually I'll get around to it, or just get a smoother blank horn. I do have a couple pendants on bone I did that I can sell, but it might be a bit before I'm willing to part with a nicer art piece. Actually, after reading the replies here, it might be sooner than I thought...

Make sure of the laws. I bought a book I believe by a Lesley Lindsey years ago when I thought that I could learn to scrimshaw. The book said to use ivory piano keys and showed them made into jewelry. Fast forward quite a few years I find an old piano on the side of the road that had fallen off of a truck. I field dressed it and got a bunch of piano wire, a nice piano hinge and some real ivory piano keys. Funny thing, the ivory had a beautiful golden patina from age and the oil from the hands that tickled those ivories for years but the owner wanted shiny white keys so they were painted with latex paint. I cleaned the paint off and was going to give them to people on this site with the stipulation that they post pictures of their creations but found out that now you can get in a world of trouble even giving away or mailing ivory. I’m thinking whale teeth have strict regulations on them so be careful collecting material to work on a if you do sell your work make sure that it is legal to sell where you are selling it.
Your work is really nick keep at it.

Make sure of the laws. I bought a book I believe by a Lesley Lindsey years ago when I thought that I could learn to scrimshaw. The book said to use ivory piano keys and showed them made into jewelry. Fast forward quite a few years I find an old piano on the side of the road that had fallen off of a truck. I field dressed it and got a bunch of piano wire, a nice piano hinge and some real ivory piano keys. Funny thing, the ivory had a beautiful golden patina from age and the oil from the hands that tickled those ivories for years but the owner wanted shiny white keys so they were painted with latex paint. I cleaned the paint off and was going to give them to people on this site with the stipulation that they post pictures of their creations but found out that now you can get in a world of trouble even giving away or mailing ivory. I’m thinking whale teeth have strict regulations on them so be careful collecting material to work on a if you do sell your work make sure that it is legal to sell where you are selling it.
Your work is really nick keep at it.
Yes, if I ever acquire a whale tooth, I won't be selling it, the whole legal issue of obtaining documentation and only finding buyers intrastate would be too much. And besides, I'd probably enjoy it too much myself anyway. It's not illegal to give ivory as a gift with no exchange.

Back