• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second Ker-Schlack Gets the Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Versanaut

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am relatively new to hunting, having only hunting deer now for the past 6 years. I have only used sidelocked, open sighted front stuffers from day one, much to my modern/scoped rifle family's dismay. There is just something about having to let them get closer and to account for the elements and lighting to make a shot that makes this type of hunting both exciting and a bit nostalgic! I stepped up the game this year in taking my flinter out for the first time. A MUCH different hunt indeed! Any movement of that 42" barrel gets a lot of attention! A herd of 6 doe happened across my right side. Being right handed I had to be patient for them to present better and not have to swing that long barrel around. I let 4 pass before to lessen the chances of being seen. Decided on #4 as the biggest. I startled the last two a bit as I line up but they did not blow or run. Only stomped. She was out at roughly 40ish yards and slightly quartering away. A clear shot, no brush. I lined up on her shoulder, pulled back the hammer. Exhaled and took in a deep breath of the cool morning air and set the trigger. As I exhaled slowed and eased back on the trigger, the early morning silence was broken by a VERY loud Ker-Schlack! No Boom! hahaha. I can't recall what I muttered exactly, but I don't think I was complimentary towards my rifle as I reset the hammer. ALL eyes were looking in my direction now trying to make sense of the noise. The two doe (Does?) next to me darted off. #4 turned to see where they went when the hammer fell again and the second Ker-Slack was interrupted by the thunder and smoke I hoped for! She ran about 50 yards before coming to rest under a fallen tree.

Rifle of Unknown maker
42"
45cal. roundball
75 Grains FFFg same in the pan
Canvas Patch with homemade Beeswax/Olive Oil lube

IMG_7487.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7487.jpg
    IMG_7487.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 60
I appreciate all the kind words! I admit, I am have still so much to learn about hunting and flintlocks for that matter. I am a bit smitten by flintlocks and nostalgia for 18th century anything. I love my caplocks, but I don't think I'll be headed back their way (Unless it's the last days of the season and I have no tags filled! ha!). I find myself headed backwards with regards to historical firearm progression. I think I'd like to end up hunting with a fowler and in more 18th century attire (Except of course the required hunters orange!).

Thanks again all for the kind and encouraging words! I'll be skulking about the other forum topics/categories as I discover who my 18th century persona is!

Latest posts

Back