• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"second" or "back -up" piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretwalda

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you carry a pistol or revolver for a back-up or second shot while hunting...what is it that you carry :hmm: ? Do you try to have the same caliber as your main weapon :confused: ? Do you load for best terminal ballistics or best accuracy in your second/back-up piece :wink: ?

I have a .50 Lancaster rifle right now oldarmy made for me. He also made me a Kentucky pistol in the same caliber, that way I could use the same ammo for both guns. And I got them at that caliber for knock-down power. Of course, if I really thought I might need it, I have a Sig P226-Navy model pistol. :grin: Not PC/HC. But it gets the job done. :thumbsup:

In my state (CO) we are restricted to using whatever is legal for the game pursued in the specific ML season. In this case, rather than think in terms of "backup", we simply think in terms of the second shot if needed. The second shot is loaded into the primary firearm and used as such.

If I carry a secoind firearm, it is a Ruger MkII semiauto .22 pistol for potting grouse. If, on any given morning, the pistol seems like too much dead weight, the grouse are potted with the primary firearm. Usually a .54 loaded with an RB.

50 cal Percusion TC with prb for Primary. Then a Traditions Trapper percusion 50 cal with prb for quick second shot. :wink:

Steve

When pig hunting with my .50 TC I sometimes carry a Ruger Old Army in a holster, loaded with conicals. GW

I pig hunt with a CVA frontier rifle in .50 and carry a Walker revolver to feel like Gus Mcrae.

I'm in the process of picking out a .50 kentucky pistol kit to carry from here on out though as I would like to have one that shoots the same ball as the rifle. I may carry both depending on how thick the pigs are.

marmotslayer said:
In my state (CO) we are restricted to using whatever is legal for the game pursued in the specific ML season. In this case, rather than think in terms of "backup", we simply think in terms of the second shot if needed. The second shot is loaded into the primary firearm and used as such.

If I carry a secoind firearm, it is a Ruger MkII semiauto .22 pistol for potting grouse. If, on any given morning, the pistol seems like too much dead weight, the grouse are potted with the primary firearm. Usually a .54 loaded with an RB.

Like Marmotslayer said, in CO we can carry a back up during muzzleloader but are not supposed to use it on our big game if a second shot is needed.
I carry a cut down 44 remington 1858 with 30 grns of fffg, a over powder fiber wad and elk tallow marmot oil mix over my balls, (in the gun that is)
I get consistant inch and a half five shot groups at 25 yrds.
I also carry a 45 cal TVM pistol with a eight inch barrel using 25 grns of fffg a .445 ball and .020 thousands patch and get one inch five shot groups with that at 25 yrds.
I feel very strongly about carrying a back up for a piece of mind.
:hatsoff:

Up here in New Hampsha, the law sez we're allowed to carry only one black powder pistol for backup durring the M/L season - It seems a few years back there was an issue with some enterprising "hunters" carrying an arsenal of rifles into their blinds. I occasionaly carry my .50 percusion with 20 grs 3f under a PRB. but most of the time it's too much extra to bother with, and if I can't kill it with my rifle, I doubt the pistol will help!

I can't imagine if I missed a standing deer with my Flintlock rifle that I'd then be able to haul out a pistol, cock, aim, hit and kill a running deer with a pistol
:hmm:

I can't imagine if I missed a standing deer with my Flintlock rifle that I'd then be able to haul out a pistol, cock, aim, hit and kill a running deer with a pistol

That's my thinking too. That's why my second firearm is for birds, etc. Have some parts to put together a 28 gauge smoothbore pistol that might be more fun to use on birds than the Ruger .22. If I ever get around to it! :(

my pistol is a proven killer for anyuthing that moves three to five feet away from me, that is how much i count on it as a second- follow up shot. backup, that is something much broader than just the second- follow up shot. :wink:

.45 cal 1911 mostly for two legged hunters with bad attitudes. Larry

NY is kind of fussy about what you carry during which seasons. During m/l season I carry my .54 flintlock and my only back-up is a fast reload and a large belt knife, either a rifleman's knife or a Finnish leuku (scary sharp - this one I use to behead chickens using a slice-cut without a swing), in addition to carrying a field dressing size.

Same for Archery season - no firearms allowed.

HPIM1321.jpg

NOTICE TO READERS: I diverge from m/l hereafter.

For regular gun season I sometimes carry my "chopped" T/C Contender with a 7-1/2" bbl in .44 Mag. Fits in the same holster as a 6" bbl revolver.

HPIM0839-1.jpg

Occasionally I carry my Colt Officer's Model .45 ACP in a shoulder rig. This accompanies me fly-fishing quite often and has also surprised a few woodchucks and a raccoon when I do my morning and twilight barn rounds. The most dangerous thing in the woods hereabouts travels on two legs, occasionally in packs, and even though Jeff Cooper got a bit spacey towards the end I agree with him that a .45 ACP is the best manstopper available when firepower, controlability, speed and energy delivered are all combined.

HPIM1315.jpg

During small game aka hog/rabbit/tree rat season, I either have the 45 Lancaster or the cut down 50 GPR.

On the side.........
MVC-013S.jpg
[/img]

Nothing special, just a el cheapo Rough Rider 22 Magnum with a short barrel.

When deer hunting here in Washington State. I normally carry an 1858 Remington .44 new Model Army revolver when hunting with my .45 T/C Seneca or my T/C .54 White mountain carbine. We are allowed to carry a handgun designed to shoot blackpowder but cannot use it to dispatch big game.

Similar to Colorado, during the ML season you can only carry a legal BP pistol for backup. That changed a couple of years ago for archery hunting. With the advent of all the trouble we were having with the illegals and coyotes [ human types ], they changed the law to allow us to carry a handgun while archery hunting for self defense. But, for ML season, no centerfire pistol, :nono: just BP.

My backup of choice is a KIMBER 1911 in .45 ACP

my pistol is a proven killer for anyuthing that moves three to five feet away from me, that is how much i count on it as a second- follow up shot.

I have a feeling that your choices are a real close match to what was carried through those same hills 180 years ago. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back