• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second stupidest thing...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdarin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
(See "Loading error??" for #1). Poured the powder, started the patch/ball, rammed ball down to powder, got distracted by, I don't know, a brain-fart I guess, capped cone and fired, launching ramrod out into space somewhere.:what: Never did find it. (Thought that kick was more than usual). Had to run to Gander Mtn to get a new one. Anyone else ever do this, or do I get to be the first? :redface: :crackup:

And ya won't be the last either. Have come close to doing it, but so far have managed to not actually do it. Getting distracted can get ya in trouble at times huh? ::

Putting a wrap of electricians tape around your ramrod, flush with the muzzle after you've loaded will be a good, safety reference mark to let you know if you load the rifle with two few or two many components.
ie: If you forget the powder the tape mark will be down inside the muzzle...if you double the powder or balls, the tape mark will be higher above the muzzle than it should be.

Of course there is one design flaw to this approach:
You must keep the ramrod with the rifle !

:: :: ::

Congratulations! You've joined a cast of tens of thousands who sense the invention of the gun have launched their ramrods!

It even made the movies, as I recall.
I don't remember who the hero was. It might have been John Wayne or Gary Cooper but whoever it was, as the indian was about to jump over the breastworks, the hero points and fires! One less ramrod and one less indian. Of course that was Hollywood, but it might have been one of the few times they actually showed something lifelike.

The Civil War battlefields were littered not only with bodys but with fired ramrods.

Because I do almost all of my shooting at the range, I use a stainless steel ramrod with a nylon cone to guide it at the muzzle. Most important is the fact that it has a Big plastic Ball on the end so it's easy to see if I forget and leave it in the bore.

I think you are thinking about Bill Tyler (Charlton Heston) in the Mountain Men, who fired his ramrod at the indian fighting with the greenhorn Flatlander.

I remeber that movie. I think the hero had powder, but no balls (?). I don't recall who it was. That was probably in a couple of movies, because I didn't see the Heston movie so I am not thinking of that one.

bdarin,
it has not happened to me, but has occurred more than
a few times at my home b/p club shoots. i have tried more than a few times to fire a r/b without powder :redface: :redface: :eek: :eek:

snake-eyes

Clark Gable also shot Ricardo Maltalban (SP?) with a ramrod in an old mountain man flick ("Across the Wide Missouri," I think). I guess the Hollywood types think that's a clever trick. I recently watched good old Burt Lancaster charging across the river as his nemesis was reloading his flintlock and hammer him just as he got his pan primed. Good thing he didn't get nailed by a ramrod. But then the good guys always think to shoot the ramrod and the bad guys put it back in place. Just think of yourself as one of the good guys.

As I remember, Fess Parker [Disney's Davy Crockett] did in a nasty 'ol Indian that way, too. Seems like it was part of the credits for the series.

I jammed a ramrod in tight while wiping between shots (see why I don't like wiping) and figured I could remove the nipple and dribble in a bit of powder and then fire it out. I guess I used enough, as it flew about 50 yards - jag and all.

Golly, I feel less like stupid and more like a movie star. Guess you can only do that at close range. A blunt-end, featherless, unguided stick will probably go just about anywhere. I've not yet found mine, but it's gotta be out there someplace. :crackup: :blah:

:relax:

I recently read a book on the Battle of the Wilderness in the Civil War and, how afterwards, the local loggers would not accept the trees from that area because so many metal ramrods had been fired into them that it was unsafe and damaging to the saws! Stuff occurs.

capped cone and fired, launching ramrod out into space somewhere.:what: Never did find it.

If you did that during hunting and killed a deer with it, could the game warden accuse you of using a dart gun?

I believe there was an older (50s)movie--maybe the "Kentuckian" with Burt Lancaster--where the hero fires his ramrod through a Native American attacker. I remember seeing this as a kid and thinking "ouch"--then, "How's he gonna reload now?" :huh:

There you go, Hollywood is king and who needs lead anyway, we all should just shoot patched ramrods... :crackup: :rolleyes:

It has been going on since the dawn of muzzleloaders (my opinion only), in the heat of battle someone launched their ramrod and the tradition continues...

remember that space shuttle accident a while back? I had been to the range that day. I don't think I should talk about it anymore! :hmm:

A T/C Tough Rod makes a Whoosh Whoosh Whoosh noise, has a 75 yard range and isn't very accurate.

Well, I just found this forum a few days ago and have been checking it out and was considering joinin'up, and then I read this post and just had to sign in.
Ya see, jus' recently I bought my first frontpacker, a 1803 Harpers Ferry, beautiful and love it. Shot er a few times, just gettin used to the flint lock going off and then I set er down to load again..powder (60 grains to start with)patch & ball..got er packed down real nice when this huge bee buzzed my head. Used my hat to chase him away, replaced hat, raised gun, primed the pan, set in shootin sticks, aimed, pan goes off then main charge and the next thing I know I am flat on my arce thinkin what the "H" was that! I ain't sure what grain a bullet this would equal to but that ramrod is steel about 34" long by about a 1/4" dia. Laid me out! But I did what any man would do and got right up and...looked around to see if anyone saw me do that! No one did so nobody knows! Thanks for listening, but don't tell nobody!
Cincerely, Cravin

Oh, ye can trust ole Zonie ta kep it under his hat.

Course, iffen Ah has ta take ma hat off ta chase a bee-bug off, than Ah mite let it slip out.

Welcome ta tha camp, an don't tell ole Stumpkiller or Maxiball 'bout this. Thy ain't as good at keepin secrets like ole Zonie are. ::

Latest posts

Back