• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second stupidest thing...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(60 grains to start with)patch & ball..got er packed down real nice when this huge bee buzzed my head.

That's because that huge bee is a anti-gun PETA member...

Ain't we learnt ya nuttin?

Thats awesome bdarin! Laughed my butt off. :: Your story is great too Cravin... ::

But I have probably only shot my new Great Plains Rifle 20 times?, and have already caught myself starting a patched ball with no powder. (I was able to pull it out of the barrel by the patch, but it was close)

I hate to say it, but this REALLY sounds like somthing I would do. Havent done it, hope I dont, but I would not be very suprised if I am laughing WITH you guys someday. I would love to have a dollar for every time that has happened, which I would guess is a lot. Seems like an easy enough mistake.

I know I have seen that in the movies too, as I recall, a guy shot an indian out of a tree. No idea what the show was.

Jeff

Second stupidest thing I did was slice my thumb open cleaning the leading edge of my flint off with my bare hand...

Third stupidest thing was drilling a 1/16 inch hole through my knuckle of my index finger on my left hand while building a stock for a friend... I had no clue where my finger was when the bit pushed through the wood...

I jammed a ramrod in tight while wiping between shots (see why I don't like wiping) and figured I could remove the nipple and dribble in a bit of powder and then fire it out. I guess I used enough, as it flew about 50 yards - jag and all.

I've found a pretty good method for removin' a stuck ramrod (Unless you enjoy playing with your ramrod cannon too much!). Just dribble a little T/C #13 (I guess water would work too.) down the bore and let it set long enough to soak into the patch. She slides right out after that. :winking:

Oops! I didn't know Wulf already recommended this in the "Stuck Cleaning Jag" thread. :eek: Sorry.

Musketman... I am glad you mentioned the flint being sharp. The first day I was playing with the flintlock I noticed that when I wiped the flint off with a patch and some denatured alcohol, the flint actually cut the patch. That flint did not look that sharp but I figured it out real fast that it does hold an edge....

The stupidest thing (that I remember) that I've done with a caplock, was after cleaning a friend's rusted-up gun (cheapie), I went ahead and shot it, knowing that the nipple was fitting a little sloppy in it's threads. The nipple , upon firing, proceeded to fly back and hit me with considerable force on my forehead right between my eyes!!!!!! I then proclaimed it a piece of excrement and threw it against a tree, daring my friend to laugh at the whole ridiculous incident. I learned one good lesson....caplock nipples are like a woman, if you trust a loose one, you're going to get hurt!!!! ::

I seem to recall in an episode of the Sharpe's series the big Irish sharpshooter defending a wagon from 3 French cavalry troops and firing his ramrod ,on purpose,at the third one.Think he hit him in the hat as he,the Frenchman,was retreating.

Latest posts

Back