• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeds shot? Anything used HC. PC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I was out and or around a farm. You know say 1790. America new England

to conserve lead shot. But you know a couple birds works.

Let's just say Robin's.. a couple of them and it's dinner.

What would you use to save lead and just stunning these things etc..

Like seeds. Crushed corn etc..

Just random wonder if there was anything they did like that?

Naturally there's just down load it for the game and hunt.

I wouldn't be spending 1.5oz of lead on a Robin's back then over there.

If I was out and or around a farm. You know say 1790. America new England

to conserve lead shot. But you know a couple birds works.

Let's just say Robin's.. a couple of them and it's dinner.

What would you use to save lead and just stunning these things etc..

Like seeds. Crushed corn etc..

Just random wonder if there was anything they did like that?
Sand/pea gravel.

Yea. I thought a gravel. Back then is a maybe.

That's has to be hard on the barrel though...

I guess a heavey wadding would nock one down.. like a fitted wine cork. re_use it even maybe.

Back then.. you know we're talking paper might be a big deal even.

I don't think I'd spend any paper either for this Robin's dinner. Not when a couple leaves is good enough.

Years ago, I ran out of shot a couple times when hunting the far side of our farms. I loaded several times with soybeans. They were pretty effective on rabbits out to around 20 yards. You could knock a pheasant out of the air at that range, but seldom would it kill, I would have to run them down.

I guess a heavey wadding would nock one down.. like a fitted wine cork. re_use it even maybe.
NOPE !!!!

We made a wad out of a wine cork to test fire a very very old fowler (with a string from behind a barricade)
We shot a flaming ball of fire out into the tall weeds, wasn't our smartest moment - gun worked great

Back