• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking Opinions on a Recent Kibler SMR Purchase Experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Kibler SMR from a well-known builder here on the forum, and I wanted to share my experience to get some input from the community.

Shortly after transferring funds to the seller, I received a message saying, “I neglected to give you full disclosure here but I had to add a tiny little piece of wood right there on the lock side of the breech. It’s fully bonded together. Let me know if you are still okay with it!! It’s such a small area that I completely forgot about it.”

I’ll admit, I was a bit miffed by this late disclosure, but I decided to proceed with the purchase. A couple of days later, while reviewing the photos the seller sent, I also noticed what looked like an inclusion just forward of the lock. It didn’t bother me at first, but as I zoomed in, I thought I saw a possible crack. Wanting to be sure, I asked the seller about it as tactfully as possible. I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of it—just wanted clarification.

Surprisingly, the seller became upset and refunded my money immediately, even though I never requested a refund.

I’m curious how others here might have handled this situation. Would you have moved forward despite the undisclosed wood addition? And does anyone have experience with a seller being this sensitive to questions about a rifle? I’d appreciate any feedback!

For the record, this was a brand new Kibler kit build. I’ve included photos below of the aforementioned issues.

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    273.8 KB
I saw a guy recently at my black powder range that has a rifle with a 'ring' in the barrel; apparently he's OK with it, but it was not disclosed by the seller who shipped it to him! He called the seller, said there was a 'ring', and the guy said, so? Or similar, so what. Defects must be disclosed! You are lucky to have gotten money back, and it again re-enforces my rule, never ship or buy anything privately; a regular company, like Midway or Dixie, fine, but dealing with unknown private people is a disaster waiting to happen!! Face-To-Face Art, they call me!

I think it came out to your advantage. Buying on the internet is always a gamble, just move on would be my approach.
That’s good advice, and I intend to, Phil. Just a little taken aback, is all… I’ve purchased two other rifles from this same individual this year, and he seems to be generally well-regarded within the community.

I agree with Mr. Coffins. That crack by the tang wasn't going to stay that way. It would have extended in time. Don't care what epoxy was used.
Even "Space Age" glue is not 100%; look at those two astronauts stranded for months on the space station! I expect them to come back with a baby born in space! (They're a man & woman, after all!)

I agree with Mr. Coffins. That crack by the tang wasn't going to stay that way. It would have extended in time. Don't care what epoxy was used.
Funnily enough, the seller was adamant that it wasn’t a crack. He seemed quite offended when I referred to it as such. He asserted that it was a 1/32” sliver of missing wood.

that crack/spliced piece by the tang would be a deal breaker for me.
you dodged a bullet.
Thanks for your input. I’m typically pretty cautious, but when I was told that it was “nothing to worry about” by someone with 40+ years of building experience, I figured “Who am I to question him?”

I ended up purchasing another .40 SMR from the user “olskool” for not too much more, and I really feel more care was taken with the build.

Attachments

• IMG_4453.jpeg
    5.8 MB
That break beside the tang acts as a bolster for the barrel. It is a bad place for a crack or break, whichever one it is, and would immediatly make me reject a modern made rifle. It's way too obvious. And if it was so minor, why didn't the builder carefully fill it, then do everything possible to cover it with tinted epoxy, finish, etc? Just looks like a break to me, and would to anyone who holds that gun.

I’ve got to say… I’m beginning to feel a little vindicated here. I’ve been through a whole gamut of emotions: from kicking myself for driving the seller to withdraw the sale, to elation at having “dodged a bullet”, as some of you have alluded to… from feeling as though I ought to apologize to the seller, to feeling that he ought to apologize to me for trying to take advantage.

This will very likely be my last online firearms purchase, as it’s beginning to seem more and more like playing a game of Russian roulette.

Last edited:
Back