• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set Triggers on T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of a used TC Hawken in 50 cal. It was bought over the interne, sight unseen from an interstate dealer so I did not notice that the double set trigger does not properly engage.

As I understand it, once the gun is at full cock, pulling the rear trigger should set the front "hair" trigger. On my gun, pulling the rear trigger has no effect at all but there is nonetheless considerable resistance on the trigger pull.

Can anyone suggest anything obvious that might be wrong? Have I missed something?

Cheers

Robbo

There should be an adjustment screw between the two triggers. This screw lets you adjust the letoff of the set trigger. Pull and hold your set trigger, turn the screw in until you hear a click. This is the trigger releasing. Let off the set trigger and then turn the screw back one full turn. You should now have a properly and safely adjusted set trigger. If you are missing the adjustment screw, order one from T/C and then follow these procedures.

:hatsoff:

HD

Robbo said:
I have just taken delivery of a used TC Hawken in 50 cal. It was bought over the interne, sight unseen from an interstate dealer so I did not notice that the double set trigger does not properly engage.

As I understand it, once the gun is at full cock, pulling the rear trigger should set the front "hair" trigger. On my gun, pulling the rear trigger has no effect at all but there is nonetheless considerable resistance on the trigger pull.

Can anyone suggest anything obvious that might be wrong? Have I missed something?

Cheers
Robbo

Robo, if you'll call TC, they'll send you a free owners manual which explains many of those things.

But in the meantime, per TC's manual, the way the 'set triggers' work is that you squeeze the rear trigger hard until you hear/feel it cock a big spring.

PS: Do all this work with the hammer relaxed all the way forward while you're adjusting/testing...no point in needlessly letting the hammer fall from full cock position when it's not necessary.

There is a tiny "adjusting screw" located between the two[url] triggers...hangs[/url] down from the trigger plate...gradually turn this screw "in" (clockwise) until the front trigger releases (clicks) all by itself...then unscrew/ turn "out" (counter-clockwise) the adjusting screw one full turn.

That should result in the typical setting that gives a very light trigger break.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can remove the trigger assembly and operate and see all the functions as if it were installed. The rear trigger works aganist a heavy flat spring and latches in a sear on the front trigger. The adjustment screw controls how far the nose of the rear trigger engages with the sear on the front trigger (right side). The front trigger releases the rear trigger and the leaf spring flips it up to contact the sear bar of the lock.
If the trigger will not latch or set the adjustment screw may be screwed in too far or there is a problem with the sear on the front trigger or nose of the rear trigger. Also check the spring which holds the front trigger to the forward position.

Go by what they have said. You can set the trigger with out it being cocked. If it is right. Yours maynot if out of adjustemt. Dilly

I also bought a used tc hawken. So far, I've just been shooting with the front trigger. I tried the rear set trigger once, but it made the front trigger a ridiculously light hair trigger.

Going by the instructions in the above posts, if you wanted the front trigger to be less of a hair trigger (slightly more force needed), would you back out the screw more than one turn, or less ?

Bender said:
I also bought a used tc hawken. So far, I've just been shooting with the front trigger. I tried the rear set trigger once, but it made the front trigger a ridiculously light hair trigger.

Going by the instructions in the above posts, if you wanted the front trigger to be less of a hair trigger (slightly more force needed), would you back out the screw more than one turn, or less ?

Back the screw out if you want more tension on the front trigger.

HD

Bender:
As Gill pointed out, the screw controls the amount of engagement the rear trigger engages the front triggers sear (or catch).

The front triggers spring is not affected by the position of the screw so the actual pull weight required to release the rear trigger will remain the same regardless of the screws position.

By adjusting the screw out, it will allow more engagement between the triggers so you will have to pull the front trigger further to cause the release however, the trigger will still be a hair trigger.

Many of us have found that for target shooting the hair trigger is ideal but most will agree that for hunting situations it is too light.
zonie

Zonie said:
Many of us have found that for target shooting the hair trigger is ideal but most will agree that for hunting situations it is too light.
zonie
I'm one who doesn't agree :grin: ...and the reasons for me are that TC's front triggers are notoriously way too heavy and that's in spite of tinkering with them what little you can.

And when I couple those heavy triggers with the fact that I might shoot a couple thousand balls using the set trigger throughout the year leading up to hunting season, it's impossible for me to easily make the change...because from force of habit with the set trigger, when a deer shows up I'll line up on him then ever so gently start applying pressure on the trigger...like I've just done 2000 times...and it doesn't go off, and it doesn't go off, etc...then I realize I'm using the front trigger manually so I start squeezing harder, and now don't know when it's going to go off, the clock is ticking, now the deer has started moving again, etc, etc.

So I've always just used the set trigger for hunting as well...I do back the screw out a half turn so it's not QUITE so sensitive, but I always have time to set it, and prefer it for the precision it gives...I never use gloves of course...just keep my trigger hand warm inside a hand warmer muff around my waist while sitting on a deer stand...works like a charm.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Triggers now working just fine. Thanks to all for the advice.

Robbo

Thanks for piping up on this, RB. I was afraid I was the only guy who used the set trigger in hunting situations. My experience has been the same as yours, with the exception of the one time that I successfully used the front trigger only because I knew I had so little time that cocking the set trigger just wasn't going to happen. But then again, with a deer standing broadside to me at 8 yards I didn't have to worry too much about accuracy of the shot. I still can't believe she just stood there and watched me raise the rifle, cock it, and touch off the shot!

I used mine on the deer I killed Sunday. That's how I practice, so that's how I shot. Seemed to work just fine, at least the deer didn't notice the difference.

Latest posts

Back