• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Setting the price

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry....don't take offense as to what I'm going to say. Your advice is pertinent only to those who have artistic talent far above the norm and produce true works of art....but most of us are incapable of doing this...even if we would expend the effort and time.

I don't "fool" myself into thinking that my LRs are "works of art"...because they're not and seeing I don't have the "artist's eye", no amount of effort is going to give me that.

I'm lucky in that my LRs appeal to some and that they're willing to pay for my meager efforts.

Your work is unattainable to many of us, so your advice is not practical in our very different world.

Your artistic achievement is beyond reproach, but your advice is pertinent only to those that achieve or approach your level of artistry.....Fred

Flehto.
I think what you say is true to a certain extent and there is a market for middle class guns thank god because most of us couldn't own one otherwise.
But from experience I am convinced that most people can do things they never could have imagined but they have convinced themselves otherwise or others have convinced them to the contrary. Almost all talent is learned. Desire and imagination is a gift from God. I know three or four world class craftsman and artists who at one time said to themselves they could never do it. I am only trying to get some to believe in themselves. Never let anybody convince you cannot do something and that include yourself because it is the biggest obstacle in our lives.
Man cannot fly but we can. If someone else has done something you probably can also.

my momma thinks my rifles are just W O N D E R F U L :haha:
It's all in the eye of the be-holder fellows!!!!!!
there's a fellow in Alaska~been making rifles better than 25yrs....I THINK he's the best, better than the house brothers, etc.....so, it's what I THINK is the purty-est that means the most to me~ :youcrazy:
heck, Fred thinks my rifles are to fat......don't you fred??? others don't like the way I make PB sometimes......I make them for a hobby, and hang em up on the wall if nobody wants them.....

marc n tomtom

Yup studies have shown people are more willing yo buy if you discount the price. I sometimes price my items 30% hihher than what i want as i know ill grt the "whats the lowest you can go". I honestly hate people who ask that, i rather prefer a number thrown at me. I used to get into hissy fits, now i just understand that is some peoples negotiating style and just price it higher.

When asked what is the lowest you will go, I reply what is the most you will pay?

Jerry....I somewhat agree that if some try hard enough they can accomplish things that can surprise them....but, we're talking degrees of achievement caused by varying amounts of talent and intelligence.

I think that the premise that anyone who studies long and hard enough can be an Einstein.....is wrong. It takes an innate talent and a high degree of intelligence to start and then other factors come into play.

Don't want to belabor this sub-topic we're discussing, but your "market" is a much different market than mine and most other gunbuilders.....Fred

jerry huddleston said:
When asked what is the lowest you will go, I reply what is the most you will pay?

Years ago a poster here said he would not work for less wages than the UPS driver who delivered his parts, I have to agree.

I look at a Craftsman's work, if I can afford it, I buy it. I am not going to discuss price with a man who has more talent than I do.

You might consider shipping it out to TOW, they will make you a cash offer, or state a price that they would list it for sale on their site. If you are happy then you just wait for it to sell. If you don't agree with them, they will ship it back with a printed opinion (similar to what they write on the site for sale). I did this once and they made me an offer. I didn't have them sell it, they shipped it back and I sold it myself for a little more than their cash offer. I mostly wanted to know what they thought of my build. All in all, they did a fair appraisal and were right on the value.

Dave Ripplinger, owner of TOW is a very knowledgeable gun dealer and will appraise a MLer and arrive at a fair price for both the seller and buyer....he's done this for many years w/ success. I personally didn't ask for his appraisal....just told him what I wanted and he took it from there.

Many complain about the 33% markup when selling through TOW's consignment sales....I didn't complain when I was selling through TOW....having realized that the exposure was invaluable for an unknown gunbuilder. Have had many requests for gunbuilding after my MLers were advertised on TOW's website.

Dave was kind enough to let me see his photography setup which produces excellent, informative photos.

Sometimes it takes awhile for a gun to sell, but Dave does take in trades and the shipping back and forth and "haggling" does prolong the sales time.

I no longer sell through TOW and have no association w/ TOW.....just informing builders of the fruitful exposure of selling on TOW.

Also...would the member who PMed me, please PM me again....Fred

Latest posts

Back