• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Several Firsts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobrien

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Dec. 24, 2009
I decided to get out on this morning and try to take a turkey with my Chambers smooth rifle. It is a fairly new gun and so far, I have only taken 1 squirrel with it for an evening meal during an overnight scout/trek.
I knew an area where a small flock was hanging out regularly, so I eased in to a spot in the dark not far from where they were roosting. I set up close to a small stream where they had been crossing the past few days on their way to forage for feed and waited for daylight. As the sky lightened up, I could hear them yelping in the roost and then heard them fly down. It wasnt long until I had 7 hens approaching the stream crossing.
They hung up on the opposite side of the stream 50 yards away and spent about ten minutes scratching at the base of seveal trees. Finally they headed in my direction and when the lead hen got to within 20 yards, I turned loose with the smooth rifle. The shot rolled the turkey on its back and the hunt was over.
This is the first real game for the gun and is the first turkey that I have taken with a 28 ga. As well, it is the the first time for the horn that accompanied me to be packed on a hunt. I just finished building and scrimming the horn 2 weeks ago. I am going to give the horn to my 13 year old son as a Christmas gift tommorrow.
I feel lucky and humbled today to be able to do what I did. For some reason today, this harvest has a bit more meaning to me than those of the past. Part of the reason is that this is the first time that I have shared my experience with others beyond my immediate family and close friends. VERY FEW people in these parts hunt with a flintlock and understand the connection with tradition. Other than those that read this post, few will ever know that I even took a turkey.
My boy and I will eat good this weekend!

Steve

SANY0118.jpg

SANY0115.jpg

scobrien -Welcome to the Traditional Hunting forum!
Awesome-turkey with a 28 ga.flint.
Enjoyed the pictures .sure looks beautiful..Like the sun camera angle.beautiful bird is that an Osceola?
Please tell me more about the gun and load.do you have any closer shots of your smooth rifle?
..That would make a great Christmas Dinner! Flintlocks and turkeys are a great combination.
Thanks for sharing...Dan

welcome aboard, and congrats on the bird :hatsoff:
Nice gun, bird and story, may it be one of many. :v

Attaboy! :thumbsup: and Congrats! :hatsoff:

them is special hunts,and yer right, other will never understand... :wink: Merry Christmas!

You'll have a wonderful Christmas dinner for sure. Looks like you have about as much snow as we have up here in Clark Fork. Thanks for your story and pics, they'll always be special memories for you.

Congrats! That turkey looks like a Rio, but I see that you are from the NW so it has to be a merriam?

Nice pic :thumbsup:

Great story, nice bird and a beautifull setting I hope you find many more days like that along your path, enjoy the journey.

Thanks men.

Makeumsmoke. The turkey is a Merriams. The gun was assembled from a Jim Chambers kit by a good friend of mine from Montana. It has a 46" barrel and the Colonial Virginia round faced lock. For this bird, I used a square load of 80 grains 3f and an equal volume of mixed shot. The shot is a mixture of #7's, 6's, and 4's. A few years back, an old friend had given me some partial bags of shot from his earlier shooting days and I simply combined them all.
I got this gun with the idea of turning it into my main woodsrunning/trekking piece. I probably won't use it for future turkey hunts but will hunt deer on occasion with it. It shoots a .520 ball cast from a Jeff Miller bag mold quite well.
I do not have any closeup photos of the gun. Perhaps that is something that I will have to remedy soon.

Lone hunter
Ya, most of our snow got rained off last week. Other than a couple of cold snaps, it has been a mild winter down this way. The ground is bare down on the Clearwater River. The lion hunters are wishing for some tracking snow.

Ott
Yes sir, it is a Merriams. We have a few isolated bunches of Easterns in our county that were released in the 80's. I have taken two Easterns so far, but they are not all that common and it has been several years since I have even seen one.

Hey tg-- I hunted Blactails down in the Myrtle Creek country in 1990. Sharp/elusive deer they are. I was lucky and got a 4x4. I hunted in some wonderfull stands of Doug Fir timber. Not to many virgin stands of timber left in my country. They have all been cut over. Found a picture of you in the archives with a Blacktail that you took with your smoothie. Nice job sir! They are neat deer.

Thanks again to all of you for the kind words
Steve

VERY FEW people in these parts hunt with a flintlock and understand the connection with tradition.

But WE understand! Congrats on the bird, a fine smooth rifle, and a gift to your son! Excellent job :hatsoff:

Steve,

First of all, Merry Christmas! And Welcome to the Forum. :hatsoff:

Grats on the turkey! That is a fine looking gun and she's a shooter too. The horn looks real nice from what I can see in your pictures. I bet your son will be mighty proud to carry it.

Great story and pics. :thumbsup: I hope you will post your future hunts here for us to enjoy.

Welcome to the forum Scobrien! I have to say that we understand and appreciate your sharing your hunt with us. Also, that top photo is one of the classiest I have EVER seen Almost looks like a painting...it's that perfect. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Back