• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharon barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etienne Brule

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a RB cal 54 Robinson with a Sharon barrel, Kit No 90 of x

She shoots greatly.

Here are the infos that I got for tha barrel:

J.Hall Sharon was 79 years old when he died in January of 2002. He made great barrels and here is some information about him.

Sharon was a native of Falmouth, KY. He lived in Sonora, CA for 22 years. He was a machinist and had worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. from 1947-53, and Hughes Aircraft in Culver City from 1953-60.

He owned Sharon Rifle Barrel Co. in Kalispell, Mont., from 1960-70. He was a nationally known gunsmith and barrel maker. He manufactured a black powder rifle marked as Sharon Hawken Kit, which was used at black powder shoots nationwide. His barrels were well-known in the United States and 25 percent went to foreign countries, including one rifle to the King and Queen of England. In 1981, a Pennsylvania-style traditional flintlock with a Sharon Barrel was presented to President Ronald Reagan.

Here she is:

GB-2.jpg

GB-1.jpg

GB-3.jpg

GB-6.jpg

GB-8.jpg

GB-9SharonRifle.jpg

I would appreciate any informations about that Sharon barrel.

I am quite proud to be in possession of one of those GREAT Black Powder ladies !

Thank you very much for the answer and time that you gave me.

Etienne Brule (Gerald Bergeron m.d.)

Merci beaucoup !

Here's is the company founder, J. Hall Sharon's Obituary.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kypendle/obituaries_national.htm

He operated his Sharon Rifle Barrel co, in Kalispell, Mountana from 1960-1970. He made a Hawken kit, and sold barrels to other gunbuilders.

I have never heard a criticism of the barrels or guns he made. I believe he went out of business because he could not reduce his costs of production to make a profit in the competitive market where both T/C, and CVA were selling thousands of similar rifles for much less money. The buying public just was not interested enough in authentic replica rifles if they could buy a similar " looking " piece for much less.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first rifle I built was a .36 Lancaster with a 42" Sharon barrel. The rifle still shoots great with 30+ years of heavy use. The rifle is still capable of 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards.

When I went to build another, the Sharon Barrel Company had gone out of business and sold their equipment to the Montana Barrel Company. I used a Montana on the next rifle. It burned up in a fire a few months later. When I went to replace it the Montana Barrel Co. had gone out of business.

I built a couple of plains rifles with Sharon barrels in the mid to late 70's. They were good quality. Sharon's kits (trade rifle and Hawken) were great offerings at that time.

I have a Hawken parts kit from Sharon Rifle Barrel Co purchased at Friendship when they were selling out. Also purchased the last pistol bbl made by them at the same time. I believe Jerry Cunningham was doing the selling (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Pistol is done using that bbl., but the hawken is still waiting to be built up.... Congratulations on your find; it is a piece of history. Paul is correct in that they were more costly but they sure look great!

In '79 I bought a Sharon barrel for my first project, a Flintlock plains rife. Was supposed to be a Hawken, but due to inexpierence I fouled up the architecture. Even today, after thousands of shots and w/ a safe full of muzzleloaders, including a Getz barrel, the Sharon is still the slickest barrel I have.

Latest posts

Back