• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps O Ring Breech Mod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have an IAB Sharps. I didn’t have so much of a problem with the sheet o’ flame as I did with fouling. After one or two shots I had to remove the breech block to clean and even freeing it from the receiver was a challenge. I sent it to Charlie Hahn and posted about my experience here: Hahn 1859 Sharps conversion

Charlies’ work has been a vast improvement but it isn’t perfect. I find I have to replace the o-ring after every 25 rounds or so. Usually I’m done shooting by then so I haven’t minded much. Oh, and the gun is very accurate.

Can some one post some pictures this modification for us folks that are not experts ?

From the link …

FYI, due to hunting seasons and the holidays, Charlie won’t work on any Sharps until well into January 2024.

Attachments

• 7EF5CE0A-786D-4743-9FFB-75B26BB94A3F.jpeg
    7EF5CE0A-786D-4743-9FFB-75B26BB94A3F.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 0
I shot both my IABs unmodified for a bit before sending them off for the O ring mod. Both leaked a bit and both started to bind a bit after 10 or so shots. Since I shoot competition and the mod is legal, off they went and I am extremely happy with the result. That said, I've seen a Shiloh repop shot in the same competition I'm in and it was unmodified. The owner had no issues with his but he was shooting slowly and only fired about 10 rounds.
Hi. To whom did you send your firearm to, for the breech modification? Can you provide contact information,Please?

My UNmodified IAB Sharps won’t close on 0.002” shim stock in the breech, yet it will lock up after 2 or 3 shots, requiring complete disassembly …
Use full synthetic Mobil1 grease on the block and that shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to go 10+. It's pink in color but after the first shot or two, it blackens up nicely.

I always wondered how waterproof a Sharps percussion was. If they leaked gas would hunting in the rain let water in? I guess the O-ring mod would fix that also?

Bob
No. The O Ring does not directly seal the breech. In the Flees mod, it serves to seal the back of the conant plate that goes on the breech. Pressure will make the ring expand and seal the back of the plate and put pressure on the rear of the plate moving it towards the breech end of the barrel more tightly.

Latest posts

Back