• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps tang sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fold the tang sight back and wiping the barrel between shots shouldn't be a problem, especially if you use a flexible rod such as a delron rod.

Would the Soule sight work with the stock front sight ?

My situation is that I have a Pedersoli Sharps Carbine and my current range only has 50 & 100 yard targets. I got the windage set pretty good but at 50 yards it is shooting very high. I assume it’s set for around 200 yards . I’m hesitant to file down the front sight because I’m hoping to get access to a range with longer range targets:
I was thinking a tang sight might solve this .
$700 is more than I’m willing to pay for a sight at this time.

How high is "very high? "
Have you tried holding a fine bead? The top of the front sight is just barely visible in the rear notch.
That's what I do on my Navy Arms musketoon to hit point of aim at 50yards.

BTW .. It looks like the pin in the front sight could come out and the disk could be changed for a taller piece.

Attachments

• 8FA8D738-51E0-4243-A96F-CE78E8E5ED04.jpeg
    8FA8D738-51E0-4243-A96F-CE78E8E5ED04.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
How high is "very high? "
Have you tried holding a fine bead? The top of the front sight is just barely visible in the rear notch.
That's what I do on my Navy Arms musketoon to hit point of aim at 50yards.
I’d say the bullet hits at least a foot or so high from where I aim at 50 yards. If I have not shot the gun for a while I have to try to remember and then shoot a bit to get it figured out again . I actually need to bring a tape measure with me next time and try both 50 & 100 yard targets and write it down. My bullets, loads and powder have been the same. The gun is relatively new and I am also to BP .

This was what I’m talking about adding . It doesn’t have to be this particular one but this is the type.
[URLunfurl="true"]EB0901 1874 Sharps Vernier Tang Sight

Please to note that the image shows the sight raised at an incorrect angle - it is MEANT to be angled in the other direction, otherwise you'd be looking through the back of the sight disc.....

Here's a similar sight fitted to my High Wall......the right way round.

1630769995282.png

Attachments

• 1630769843093.png
    1630769843093.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 41
Please to note that the image shows the sight raised at an incorrect angle - it is MEANT to be angled in the other direction, otherwise you'd be looking through the back of the sight disc.....

Here's a similar sight fitted to my High Wall......the right way round.

View attachment 92729

that is the type I was wondering about & if I could add one without having to change the front sight at this point and be able to sight targets at 50 & 100 yards & clean the gun without a lot of trouble. I know I can add many Pedersoli sights to the tang but I didn’t know how usable they are at these ranges without changing the front sight as well.

that is the type I was wondering about & if I could add one without having to change the front sight at this point and be able to sight targets at 50 & 100 yards & clean the gun without a lot of trouble. I know I can add many Pedersoli sights to the tang but I didn’t know how usable they are at these ranges without changing the front sight as well.
If it were me, I would try making a new blade for the foresight. Then, if funds allow, add the tang mounted vernier sight.

If it were me, I would try making a new blade for the foresight. Then, if funds allow, add the tang mounted vernier sight.
Putting in the taller front sight as you suggest is what the guy in the video did …he just used the ladder sight after that . I was just curious if adding a sight to the tang would work without fooling with the front.

Putting in the taller front sight as you suggest is what the guy in the video did …he just used the ladder sight after that . I was just curious if adding a sight to the tang would work without fooling with the front.
Short answer as I’m sure you’ve discovered, is, maybe. @Zonie used to post a chart showing how much would need to be added or subtracted from a front or rear sight in order to change the POI. I wish I’d saved it because it took nearly all of the math out of the ciphering. Perhaps one of these fine folks has saved it for us...

Short answer as I’m sure you’ve discovered, is, maybe. @Zonie used to post a chart showing how much would need to be added or subtracted from a front or rear sight in order to change the POI. I wish I’d saved it because it took nearly all of the math out of the ciphering. Perhaps one of these fine folks has saved it for us...
Someone was telling me about a chart like that the last time I was at the range. He’s the only other black powder shooter I’ve run into there .. at least who brings their bp guns to the range ….I’ll see if he has it.

Another cheaper option is simply a small metal right angle, like a cabinet brace, mounted to the tang with a screw, and a small hole drilled in the upright. I had one with a series of small holes on my 58 caliber, but it got knocked off hunting. (Never loan your guns).

I know several here have them, hopefully someone will post a pic.

Ron,is that his Economy or Deluxe Soule sight? Do you like it, his economy sights seem like a good deal. Is it good for hunting? Can't use irons anymore and need a sight for Hunting and long range target work. Thanks.

That one is the economy mid range with Hadley eye cup.

BTW, does your tang sight allow you to run a patch Down the barrel without removing it . If you do remove it for cleaning or whatever do you have to readjust things again when you put it back on or do you just screw it back on the tang ?

Well, the answer is on the picture below :)

I made a semi-flexible black delrin cleaning rod. Delrin is 10 or 9mm(0.4 in) in diameter so it is sturdy enough. It has a standard male jag thread and when making it I though "no way it'll last. That thread will break off". However, the way I use the cleaning rod is I always push the patch through the barrel. I never pull. I only retract the rod once the patch fell off from the muzzle so there is little pulling force.

20210905_093508.jpg

I couldn't clean it with long range tang sight on with a normal ramrod and pulling it off between shots is a pain.

I'm planning to make a shorter flexible ramrod just for swiping the chamber in future.

I do remove the long range tang sight for transport as when folded back the eye disk (I use a Hadley diopter) marrs the wood of the stock. However, I still haven't found a load precise enough to determine if this causes issues with zeroing yet.

Edit: One more thing about shooting the rifle short range with long range sights only that can't be adjusted down. I have a rifle like that. An original I don't want to modify. The way I developed a load for it at short range is to put two targets spaced vertically on a piece of ply. Then I hanged it at the backstop.

I was aiming at the lower target. Shots were going into the top. Of course you have to make few shots in advance to know how far apart two targets should be.

Also, my Pedersoli Sharps has a heavy octagonal barrel, not round. That may place your front sight even lower than mine. So I can't guarantee the tunnel front sight I use will work for sure for point blank. I would email your local Pedersoli distributor to ask if you choose to buy it. If I was you I would probably just make(or have made) a taller front post.

Last edited:
Well, the answer is on the picture below :)

I made a semi-flexible black delrin cleaning rod. Delrin is 10 or 9mm(0.4 in) in diameter so it is sturdy enough. It has a standard male jag thread and when making it I though "no way it'll last. That thread will break off". However, the way I use the cleaning rod is I always push the patch through the barrel. I never pull. I only retract the rod once the patch fell off from the muzzle so there is little pulling force.

View attachment 92852

I couldn't clean it with long range tang sight on with a normal ramrod and pulling it off between shots is a pain.

I'm planning to make a shorter flexible ramrod just for swiping the chamber in future.

I do remove the long range tang sight for transport as when folded back the eye disk (I use a Hadley diopter) marrs the wood of the stock. However, I still haven't found a load precise enough to determine if this causes issues with zeroing yet.

Edit: One more thing about shooting the rifle short range with long range sights only that can't be adjusted down. I have a rifle like that. An original I don't want to modify. The way I developed a load for it at short range is to put two targets spaced vertically on a piece of ply. Then I hanged it at the backstop.

I was aiming at the lower target. Shots were going into the top. Of course you have to make few shots in advance to know how far apart two targets should be.

Also, my Pedersoli Sharps has a heavy octagonal barrel, not round. That may place your front sight even lower than mine. So I can't guarantee the tunnel front sight I use will work for sure for point blank. I would email your local Pedersoli distributor to ask if you choose to buy it. If I was you I would probably just make(or have made) a taller front post.
I think the last time I was at 50 yards , I put one 12” Target above another. I’d aim at the lower bullseye to shoot at the upper one. I think that worked. I’ll bring a tape measure next time & do 50 & 100 checks.
I like the look of the vernier tang sight but the practicality for my purposes is what I was concerned about.
If I’m only shooting at 50 & 100 yard targets for up to 30 shots at a session ,then cost , bore cleaning at the range & at home & transportation are all things to think about . I am hoping to get access to longer range targets but I have to get things figured out better.

I think the last time I was at 50 yards , I put one 12” Target above another. I’d aim at the lower bullseye to shoot at the upper one. I think that worked. I’ll bring a tape measure next time & do 50 & 100 checks.
I like the look of the vernier tang sight but the practicality for my purposes is what I was concerned about.
If I’m only shooting at 50 & 100 yard targets for up to 30 shots at a session ,then cost , bore cleaning at the range & at home & transportation are all things to think about . I am hoping to get access to longer range targets but I have to get things figured out better.

Do you still have the factory ladder sight on the barrel? I kept it. I have to move the ladder two clicks up for point blank range with the tunnel front sight, but if I shoot at short range I sometimes don't put the long range sight on. If you still have it I encourage you to try it :) Who knows, perhaps you'll like it.

Back