• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shawnee 8Pt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Shotgun season opened up in Illinois Fri. and I drew the full shotgun season and full muzzleloader.

Don't own any modern guns anymore..except one handgun, been hunting with only flintlocks for five or six yrs or so. Anyway I killed this 8pt in Shawnee National Forest with my .58cal. Berk's Co. flintlock I built several yrs back. I passed the buck up at about 15yds broadside the first morning...I know there's two more in that area a whole lot bigger and I thought I could only kill one buck. So hard as it was for me I let it walk that first morning.

Talked to a friend that night and he informed me I could kill two bucks. As fate would have it the same buck walked behind me the second morning..yesterday and I shot it at 30 steps using .570" round ball, .018" pillow ticking and 85grs Goex 3f.
P1010003.jpg

We had some great weather for our firearm season opener this year. Except I hunted with my slug gun with a scope. I wish I used the ml because Saturday night I had 2 button bucks come within 5-10 yards then a spike at 20 yards. Would of been a perfect oppurtunity and I passed on them because I had already gotten a button buck that morning and was holding out for a buck.

There you go... I've been trying to convince all these out of state hunters{ mostly Hoosiers cuzz they'll believe anything...} that there aren't any big deer in Illinois. Well now you went and made me look like a liar...thank you very much!!
...'course I guess I could tell the Hoosiers it came from Kentucky...yeah they'd believe that :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nice deer by the way...be proud :thumbsup:

John

Thanks men..I'm sure you all know I meant .570" round ball instead of the .270" I posted..can't figure out how to change it.

Nice looking deer. I won't be going hunting in Illinois until the Muzzleloader season in Illinois, but you got me anxious. I'll be taking a 54 caliber flintlock. My sons will get preferance over me since they haven't got their first deer yet.
Happy for ya.

Hoyt said:
Shotgun season opened up in Illinois Fri. and I drew the full shotgun season and full muzzleloader.

Don't own any modern guns anymore..except one handgun, been hunting with only flintlocks for five or six yrs or so. Anyway I killed this 8pt in Shawnee National Forest with my .58cal. Berk's Co. flintlock I built several yrs back. I passed the buck up at about 15yds broadside the first morning...I know there's two more in that area a whole lot bigger and I thought I could only kill one buck. So hard as it was for me I let it walk that first morning.

Talked to a friend that night and he informed me I could kill two bucks. As fate would have it the same buck walked behind me the second morning..yesterday and I shot it at 30 steps using .270" round ball, .018" pillow ticking and 85grs Goex 3f.
P1010003.jpg

OUTSTANDING!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Nice buck! :hatsoff: Beautiful pic. too. :thumbsup:

You were sorta right about the one buck- one buck THIS weekend. The ML tag won't be good until 2nd season. 2 bucks per hunter / per year limit, all weapons, no matter what tags you bought.

great deer! which part of the shawnee did you hunt? i used to live there and always did good in the shawnee, i don't deer hunt down there anymore but still turkey hunt each spring in the crab orchard. good job!

medic302 said:
great deer! which part of the shawnee did you hunt? i used to live there and always did good in the shawnee, i don't deer hunt down there anymore but still turkey hunt each spring in the crab orchard. good job!

I live and hunt in Gallatin Co...Shawnee is right behind me, don't even have to crank the truck.

I put in for spring gobbler in Gallatin and for a later choice crab orchard. Bout time to hear something I would think.

I was back in the woods this morning where I killed this buck and found the place tore up with big fresh telephone pole size rubs. The buck making those rubs is the one I was hunting and reason I passed this buck the first time. However he had not put any sign down this yr. He has now and I will be after him now with bow and flintlock for the second gun and muzzleloader season. This rub is from last yr and is the size he's putting down now..only he's rubbing cedar and tearing them up.
p1010011.jpg

Latest posts

Back