• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shenanodoah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrosepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a shenanodoah rifle kit 36cal.flint kit from deer creek.I like the gun except when I put it to my shoulder and look at the back site I am lined up about half way up the barrel, I guess what I am saying is their is not enough drop. Now what do I do? I hope I am making myself clear

Where are you placing the butt? If you are putting it on your "bra strap", try moving the butt further out on your shoulder. It should rest on the deltoid muscle and the toe should curve into your armpit. If that doesn't work it may be that the rifle doesn't have enough drop and it may not be possible to modify the stock to gain enough. The recourse then would be to buy a new stock and fit your parts to it or sell the gun and buy one that fit. Good luck.

LJA makes a good suggestion. Unfortunately we are not all built the same. I have a Shenandoah and it fits me well when I hold it as LJA suggested and that is my normal way of using a muzzleloader with a curved butt. If I bring the stock in on my shoulder it makes the rear sight too low.

Good luck on the build. My rifle was a factory build. The stock does not have much wood to re shape it.

Some people have had some luck in bending their stocks. I think they steam them first. If you do a search I bet you can find some threads on it, or for sure with a google search.

I'll give something to try first that might be easier than trying to modify your stock. Get...or make... a taller rear sight. You'll have to also replace your front sight, but it doesn't take a lot of change in the sight height to make up for a lack of drop. Make something out of cardboard first and just tape it on the stock where the current rear sight is. See how much it takes to get so that when you're looking through the rear sight, you're lined up better.

Not saying it will work, but it's something simple to try first. This is what I did on my wife's Traditions Pennsylvania that didn't have nearly enough drop to be nice and lined up when brought to the shoulder.

That's an even better idea. Most people need about 2"- 2 1/4" drop at the comb from the sight line in order to mount the rifle comfortably.

I second this, also as a side note. in the past I have used filed down razor blades that were soldered to the back of the rear sight. they are cheap, easy to find and work great!

Back