• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shiney Colt Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this up last weekend. New in Box. Two digit serial#. Kind of gaudy. The words "Sempler Fidelis"(always faithful) engraved on the backstrap after Sam Colts signature. Not really my kind of gun, but I thought some might enjoy seeing it.

DSC00589.jpg

It's not a Walker, it's a Dragoon!

Walkers have nine inch barrels, are made without loading lever catch, and the cylinder chamber mouths are closer to the frame, and the wedge pin is on the other side.

What you have there is a very fancy Colt Dragoon, A first or second Model, if I'm correct by looking at the trigger guard.

Any history about the Semper Fidelis??

Dave

I vote for 1st Model, based on the cylinder stop notches. Hard to tell, though, looking at it hurts my eyes.

It's easier with the sunglasses on old boy! :wink: :haha: Don't have to squint as much to see the notches :) .

I buy guns for two reasons, cause I want them, and as an investment. This one is the latter. It will go to the Tulsa gun show with me in April, and hopefully a Colt collector will take it home. I like guns that go boom, make smoke, and turn your hands black. I just put this on because I thought some would find it interesting. So, feel free to bring on the bling jokes! :rotf:

So we're just dying to know more about this 1st Model Dragoon! Age, maker, how did you get it, provenance, paperwork, etc. And just so you got my first post, it's NOT a Walker!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
So we're just dying to know more about this 1st Model Dragoon! Age, maker, how did you get it, provenance, paperwork, etc. And just so you got my first post, it's NOT a Walker!

Dave
Dave, I got this First Model Dragoon along with the Musketoon I posted here from the same source. It is a Colt Signature Series 2nd Gen. Serial # is less than 40. I think it was made around 1978. It is in the original Colt box. I have hidden it from myself as I want to shoot it. Cylinder has never been turned, so that would be a mistake. Serial # is three digit, starting with a zero, so it is most likly one of 99.

ozark57 said:
smokin .50 said:

Dave
Dave, I got this First Model Dragoon along with the Musketoon I posted here from the same source. It is a Colt Signature Series 2nd Gen. Serial # is less than 40. I think it was made around 1978. It is in the original Colt box. I have hidden it from myself as I want to shoot it. Cylinder has never been turned, so that would be a mistake. Serial # is three digit, starting with a zero, so it is most likly one of 99.

ozark57,

No offense intended. I believe what you have is a Colt Signature Series (Not a 2nd Generation Colt) " 1848 Whitneyville-Hartford Commemorative "Marine" Dragoon ". Silver and gold plated.

Limited edition, 950 to be produced. Suggested retail was $895.

These were produced starting in 1997 by Colt Blackpowder Arms in Brooklyn, New York.

This information is from the excellent 1998 book by Dennis Adler "Colt Blackpowder Reproductions & Replicas, A Collector's & Shooters Guide". Updates of this book or other Blue Book publications may have more recent information on actual production and values.

Another member may have a Colt Blackpowder Arms catalog that covers your particlular model.

Robert

O-K, so you're the original owner.

I'd hang on to it and put it into a professional model display case, and then hand it on a wall!

Too pretty to shoot!

Dave

Robert, It is as you say. :bow: I just picked it up last Saturday, and was going on what I was told.When I checked in my 2009 edition of STANDARD CATALOG OF FIREARMS I found it. It is a 1848 Whitneyville-Hartford Commemorative Marine Dragoon, silver and gold plated.

IT IS STILL A LARGE SHINEY REVOLVER!!!!!!

Yes it's a Whitneyville Dragoon, 250 or so were made originally using some left over Walker parts before production on the 1st model Dragoon began. Easiest way to tell is how the grips curve into the frame same as on the Walker, Starting with the 1st model the grips are a straight line against the frame.

Chad

Norinco said:
Nice, big and shiny. How does the Semper Fi tie in?

To promote his new designs, the entrepreneurial Samuel Colt often manufactured small numbers of presentation quality revolvers distinguished by ornate finishes and engravings. These were ceremoniously presented to high ranking military officers to enhance Colt's reputation...and promote his business.
Such a weapon is Colt's Limited edition re-issue of the presentation grade Marine Corps 044 Caliber revolver. The weapon makes a striking impression with it's 24kt. gold plated cylinder,trigger,wedge,loading lever and hammer and its contrasting frame and barrel of highly polished silver plate. At Four lbs. it features a 7.5" barrel, a sleekly contoured walnut grip and a finely engraved cylinder that depicts 15 Texas Rangers defeating a Comanche war party....exactly as designed by W.L. Ormsby on the original Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon. To honor the most elite branch of the U.S. Military....and the many battles it won with Colt Firearms.

That's the hook, er...I mean tie in.
Finnwolf

Can I take my shades off now? I thought there was a problem
with my compooter, but alas, it was just a shiny gun. :haha:
Dusty :wink:

Back