• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping a muzzleloader? Illinois resident...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vautrain

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Edit: I hope I posted this in the correct forum! If not, my apologies.

I've been lurking here only a short while, but I've been thinking about trying my hand at muzzleloading for several years. I've decided to take the plunge, but I have questions about the legalities of having a muzzleloader shipped to me.

From what I have read, the federal government does not consider a muzzleloading rifle to be a firearm, for the purposes of restricting shipping. Is this correct? If this is correct, does this also apply to muzzleloading handguns, as well?

It seems this can be superseded by state or local laws. Is this the case? I happen to live in downstate Illinois. I am aware that some businesses restrict or even refuse to ship muzzleloaders to Illinois, but I have been unable to find any specific information on Illinois law regarding muzzleloaders, except that Illinois requires a muzzleloader owner to hold a valid FOID (Firearm Owner ID) card, which I do. Is the hesitation of some businesses due to restrictive laws in Chicago? Is there anything else I should know about acquiring a muzzleloader, as a resident of Illinois?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

Edit: I hope I posted this in the correct forum! If not, my apologies.

I've been lurking here only a short while, but I've been thinking about trying my hand at muzzleloading for several years. I've decided to take the plunge, but I have questions about the legalities of having a muzzleloader shipped to me.

From what I have read, the federal government does not consider a muzzleloading rifle to be a firearm, for the purposes of restricting shipping. Is this correct? If this is correct, does this also apply to muzzleloading handguns, as well?

It seems this can be superseded by state or local laws. Is this the case? I happen to live in downstate Illinois. I am aware that some businesses restrict or even refuse to ship muzzleloaders to Illinois, but I have been unable to find any specific information on Illinois law regarding muzzleloaders, except that Illinois requires a muzzleloader owner to hold a valid FOID (Firearm Owner ID) card, which I do. Is the hesitation of some businesses due to restrictive laws in Chicago? Is there anything else I should know about acquiring a muzzleloader, as a resident of Illinois?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

That amongst many other reasons is why I live in Texas! :eek: :front:

Davy

That amongst many other reasons is why I live in Texas! :eek: :front:

Davy

Alright, alright. No need to preach to me, most of my family is in Texas and surrounding. If I was there, I wouldn't have posted my query.

vautrain...

Seems there are several fella's on here from Illinois, I can't believe you haven't received a thorough and prompt answer. Hopefully one of those guys will chime in soon. I wish I could tell you but I'm ignorant of Illinois law.

Vic

Vautrain,
I live in Illinois and it is no problem having a muzzle loader sent to you. Maybe it depends on the state sending it, mine came from Indiana, and i didn't have to do anything but send my credit card number.

Vautrain,
I live in Illinois and it is no problem having a muzzle loader sent to you. Maybe it depends on the state sending it, mine came from Indiana, and i didn't have to do anything but send my credit card number.

Thanks! I actually just got off the phone with the ISP Firearms Services Bureau, and the representative basically told me the same thing. She recommended following the instructions on transfer recordkeeping on the back of the FOID card. Which, is no problem for me.

ISP wont give you a direct answer. Lisa Madigan has taken a stand that any firearm must be shipped via an FFL. Just because you are successful in getting one shipped does not mean that AGs office will not followup. FFLs follow the Federal rules - not a firearm. Take your pick.

Local cops dont care if you have it shipped to your residence. ISP will do what the AGs office tells them.

ISP wont give you a direct answer. Lisa Madigan has taken a stand that any firearm must be shipped via an FFL. Just because you are successful in getting one shipped does not mean that AGs office will not followup. FFLs follow the Federal rules - not a firearm. Take your pick.

Local cops dont care if you have it shipped to your residence. ISP will do what the AGs office tells them.

Well, Lisa Madigan... nevermind.

I think the lady I spoke with at the ISP seemed to give me a pretty direct answer- there is no problem having it shipped, but I need to have a FOID card, and if it's a transfer subject to the paragraphs on the back of the FOID card, I need to follow those rules.

Have you heard of anyone actually having any trouble with having a muzzleloading rifle shipped in Illinois?

Thanks for the link. Believe me, I've searched all the statutes and info I could find online. The only thing I could find, really, is that I must have a FOID card (which I do) to legally own/possess a muzzleloading firearm, and I found information on what constitutes an unloaded muzzleloading firearm. I found nothing else specific to muzzleloaders, unless you lump muzzleloaders together with "antique" firearms, which I don't think Illinois does.

I really think it is a sorry state of affairs for people when their State undermines the Constitution and Federal laws, and inacts laws that are a violation of both.

I really think it is a sorry state of affairs for people when their State undermines the Constitution and Federal laws, and inacts laws that are a violation of both.

I really don't want to make a political debate over this, but I agree that it would be best if Illinois followed federal law on this. In the absence of that, however, lawmakers and law enforcement should at least be clear on what the law is, and not be vague or inconsistent. A straight answer to a straight question would go a long way, in my opinion.

They don't give you a straight answer because their afriad you'd find a loop hole.The US Constitution! There are 22,000 state laws affecting fire arms.There are 80 million gun owners they are afraid of and we vote.Tell em about it!

Alot of dealers won't ship to any one except an FFL for the simple reason of state laws. The company it comes from makes a big difference. I don't know of anyone getting in trouble with having a muzzleloader shipped to them. The local shop here will let you have a firearm shipped to him and charge a $10 fee for transfer. Alot of guys buy on-line and have them shipped there.

Back