• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping BP Pistol USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrader

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know it's ok to ship a BP Rifle using USPS but can BP revolvers/Muzzleloader Pistol's be shipped thru the USPS ?? Also is there a list somewhere that tells the states that it is a no no to ship a BP pistol ?? Thanks in advance.. :idunno:

i have shipped bp pistols and received them in the mail. requires a signature.
of course you will have to check state laws.
i have to fill out a form at the post office to ship guns.

If you can, I would definitely do it. Just recieved my latest BP order a day late, after fedex pulled their routine "nobody home" stunt, no knock, no call tag left behind. I wish usps would ship the stuff. You can find usps firearm regs online. Print them out if it's allowed, and bring them with you, in case you get a moron behind the counter who wants to argue with you. If the counter flunkie won't do it even with the regs, a chat with the local postmaster usually resolves the problem.

Ive never had a problem shipping any long guns in the mail. But the postmaster here said no handguns of any kind are to be shipped in U.S. mail .

They know me quite well :grin:

As for the Post Office, just tell them it is an "Antique reproduction", which it is.

As for the States and their laws that can be another kettle of fish.

Some states don't care but because it is a "handgun" others may get their noses out of joint.

If it were me that was shipping the gun I would ask the person who was receiving it about his/her States laws on handguns.

If it is one of those States that has laws about having permission before they can buy the gun (New York City comes to mind), I would tell the buyer that he/she must tell you which gun store they want me to ship the gun to.

If they are unwilling to do this I would call the deal off.

'Course, this is just me. Others can do whatever they wish to do.

fredrader said:
I know it's ok to ship a BP Rifle using USPS but can BP revolvers/Muzzleloader Pistol's be shipped thru the USPS ?? Also is there a list somewhere that tells the states that it is a no no to ship a BP pistol ?? Thanks in advance.. :idunno:

I say "Dont ask, dont tell" We are asked is it "hazerdous, perisable, breakable, explosive" I say No. They dont ask "Is it a gun".

Thanks for all the help guy's..I have shipped an 1851 using USPS Priority Mail once but I don't think I was supposed too..I don't think I will do it again since I would be purchasing insurance and if something happened to it they could raise a stink and may even not cover it..I don't know which states are legal to ship BP pistols directly to the buyers home/business so I copied this (No shipping to Residents of IL, HI, MA, MI, NJ,Alaska and NY City and WA, please check your local laws) from one of the big sellers web site and I won't ship there just to be safe..A guy would have to be a lawyer to figure out all the state laws etc so I guess it's better to be safe than sorry..Thanks again all,Fred

A local gunshop ships pistols all over the country, within the boundaries of the law, using USPS, on a fairly regular basis.

They will ship, but I guess it depends on the local laws and which village idiot is working at the local post office.

I have shipped ML parts, including complete locks as "machined parts" to avoid hassles with the local village idiot.

God bless

Fred I watched as a P.O. Jeep pulled up alongside a CNC machining place that specializes in gun parts and their fabrication/installation. It's a nationally known gunsmith in the action shooting circles. I was told that he gets overnight and second-day packages all of the time, and sends the stuff back the same way, insured.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you can't ship modern firearms parcel post, but I know you can ship them for real money! :haha:

Dave

That is just what the vendor does (because he has no guts).
I live in MA and it is Legal to ship a BP pistol direct here (got 4 1858 Rems from Taylors) as long as it is not in a box with ammunition. The ammunition (BP and lead balls) in MA is what requires an FID to purchase but nothing is required possess it or any BP gun. That being said it is a whole different story for modern ammo and firearms.

FWIW, I live in a state that has zero restrictions on BP guns, long or short - IOW, they are treated pretty much like buying/selling sneakers - BUT - Cabela's refuses to ship any BP arm here, citing it's against my state's laws when I called to complain.

IMO, if the shipper/mailer is following Federal Law and the law of their own state, they are in compliance - it's not their business ( or a legal requirement to determine) whether or not the receiver is in complience of the laws in their area of residence.

Dismantle as much as reasonably possible, say for a good cleaning and ship insured. When asked to describe contents, list them as "machined parts".

I have received BP pistols from all over the country thrugh the mail. I have had no problem. I havn't tried shipping yet because I don't sell my guns :rotf:.

This was covered in a thread in the Pistol subforum almost exactly a year ago (3-19-09). Do a search in the Pistol subforum for the topic "Shipping a pistol" by tammons.

It covers the topic pretty well.

Just a few weeks ago, I received a pistol from Bob Worthington at Greyhaven Arms. It came through the mail. Shipping that way IS legal.
Pete

Illinois must be sent FFl to FFL . The local shop will receive for individuals, and charges a $10 filing fee.

It looks like FFL holders can send pistols thru the USPS but non FFL holders are not allowed to use them..I know modern pistols have to be sent overnite from an FFL to an FFL..If you send a modern pistol in for repair you can send it directly to the mfg and they can send it directly back to you but you have to use UPS and not the USPS..

fredrader said:
It looks like FFL holders can send pistols thru the USPS but non FFL holders are not allowed to use them..I know modern pistols have to be sent overnite from an FFL to an FFL..If you send a modern pistol in for repair you can send it directly to the mfg and they can send it directly back to you but you have to use UPS and not the USPS..
True for guns that use modern cartridge ammo, not true for antiques and replicas of antiques.

Latest posts

Back