• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shocking.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
....performance!
I was an absolute farce this morning!

Pheasant season is coming to a close next week so after leaving them alone for a few weeks on one patch of mine I went go see what was about.
Well we lifted bird after bird. I had 10+ shots and got one!
I blame lack of sleep as I felt very sluggish and I am convinced I was poking at them and not swinging the gun through.
I even tested the gun on some discarded tin and it shot to aim and produced a lovely pattern so that ruled the gun out.

On reflection it's humbling, I ain't done to bad this season with near thirty birds to hand and only two I think were nitro!
More than fair in my favour and a little humbling never hurt no man.
The picture.
IMG_20190125_113428677.jpg

B.

Lol, My mother had a black lab that would get up and walk out on you if you missed to many ducks. She would be waiting on the porch for you when you got home, no matter how many miles away the hunt was!
My lab just stares right at me for a couple minutes.
Walk

We all have bad days especially on winged game. I have always been able to nail quail with no problem but one day I couldn't even hit the sky.

I'm glad you didn't strike out.

Beautiful hen bird for supper! Some days it just seems harder than other days. Like your just not on your game. Still, better to be hunting and missing than not hunting. Jess will get over it...........I hope.

....performance!
I was an absolute farce this morning!

Pheasant season is coming to a close next week so after leaving them alone for a few weeks on one patch of mine I went go see what was about.
Well we lifted bird after bird. I had 10+ shots and got one!
I blame lack of sleep as I felt very sluggish and I am convinced I was poking at them and not swinging the gun through.
I even tested the gun on some discarded tin and it shot to aim and produced a lovely pattern so that ruled the gun out.

On reflection it's humbling, I ain't done to bad this season with near thirty birds to hand and only two I think were nitro!
More than fair in my favour and a little humbling never hurt no man.
The picture.
View attachment 3571

Well Brother, At least you didn't go home empty handed, like my deer season was for me.
As we say here in the South..."it's chicken one day, and feathers the next!"

Great photograph and account Nate.

Is any canine therapy available across the pond for pooches in Jess' s situation? I hope she receives whatever help which may be available to her. Just look at that posture....Can't bear to even glance at the camera:D

Thanks for sharing. Always a joy to go along with you, Skychief.

Great photograph and account Nate.

Is any canine therapy available across the pond for pooches in Jess' s situation? I hope she receives whatever help which may be available to her. Just look at that posture....Can't bear to even glance at the camera:D

Thanks for sharing. Always a joy to go along with you, Skychief.
Cheeky monkey:rolleyes:

She has had extra treats and chose to sit with mother!

Success can at times be rather fickle, as can failure, thankfully. That was a good outing anyway you look at it, though. Next time out...:D

Great job with the front loader. When I was a teen we had excellent pheasant hunting here. Our State Government ( pause while I curse ) was more friendly to hunters at that time and maintained a stocking program. We had plenty of birds and Dad and I could walk them up without a dog. It was absolutely normal and accepted for boys to miss school on the opening day of pheasant season, Now, child protective services and the swat team would likely show up at the door. I miss the old days...

It was absolutely normal and accepted for boys to miss school on the opening day of pheasant season, Now, child protective services and the swat team would likely show up at the door. I miss the old days...
Move to Montana - hunting season is nearly a 5-week holiday from school or work for some (but alas, not a holiday from football). However, it does work to my advantage, as on days with home football games, I have my usual spot all to myself.

Access as well as bird numbers has become the issue here. It used to be most any farmer would say yes if asked about pheasant hunting on their place. Now they have to know you for there to be a chance. The age old issue of a few knuckleheads ruining it for everyone, shooting out combine windows and such.
Fish and Game used to stock them, but no more. Used to be that one could expect to see them quite frequently when driving somewhere. Now I see maybe a couple a year.

B, that was some tough luck, as they say “Sometimes your the Bug, Sometimes you’re the windscreen!

Great pic Thanks for posting.

Good stuff Brit. Our dogs have to be shown every now and again that we aint perfect all the time or else it would spoil them. Teaches em patience.......my dogs are very patient! Nice pic on that old weathered stump, makes you wonder the stories it could tell!

Latest posts

Back