• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooter's bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very hard to put a date on shooting bags. As pictured it seems to be mid to late 1800s. The size is a bit large. Oil tanned cowhide can also be a time period issue as well. You will need to get some saddle stitching needles to properly sew the bag.

If you can, look at a copy of Madison Grant's book on shooting bags. That will provide you with some better flap styles for earlier time periods.

The kit has the raw materials to make an acceptable if not entirely historically correct.

I would want to know how thick the leather is in this kit. Most folks suggest and use 3-4 oz. thick leather in cowhide. Heavier leather is just heavier, it does not add much to the pouch except it is a little stiffer to get in and out of it, if you like and want that. (I have a couple heavy pouches and like them, but not everyone does.) Oil tanned leather often goes at 5-5 1/2 oz. so it is not hugely thicker/heavier than what a lot of folks use.

However, though they had oil tanned leather in the 18th and early 19th centuries, modern oil tanned leather is not a period correct tanning technique, if that matters to you for authenticity. (Vegetable/bark tanned leather is period correct for authenticity and is commonly available, though normally higher priced leather.) Modern Oil tanned leather can be a bit harder to hand sew as the oil makes steel needles slippery. That doesn't mean you can't hand sew it though, it is just not as easy as Veg/Bark tanned leather.

Madison Grant reports that most shooting pouches were made from cowhide or pigskin and of course deer or elk skin depending on when, where and who made it. He also reports that earlier 18th century pouches had a tendency to be square or rectangular. The "D" shape pouch, which this kit appears to be, is very late 18th century at the earliest.

There are reported to only be only about 10 shooting pouches that can be documented to the 18th century. These pouches are a bit smaller to a good bit smaller, when one includes the original Lyman Belt Pouch, than what the leather is in the kit. So you could take this leather and make it into a smaller bag, if you wished for an earlier period pouch.

So if strict authenticity is not on your requirements list, this kit is pretty inexpensive and you could make almost any style pouch you wanted from it by custom cutting the leather to what you want.

Gus

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the input. I will indeed get a copy of Madison Grant's book and take a look. I'll see if I can find out more about the leather in this kit, just for information's sake.

I made a bag about 15 years ago, when I was just getting into flintlock shooting and everything that goes with it. I got the pattern from a friend of mine, and made it out of what I would call a medium weight cowhide split.It's like 11x11 square and has a 4" gusset for width... much more like a purse than a shooter's bag. I need to make something more in line with the rest of my garb (late 18th/early 19th centuries). A (much) smaller bag makes a lot of sense - I just want to get the time frame right, for the "look".

Thanks again :hatsoff: ,
Scott

ClickFlash... said:
I made a bag about 15 years ago, when I was just getting into flintlock shooting and everything that goes with it. I got the pattern from a friend of mine, and made it out of what I would call a medium weight cowhide split. It's like 11x11 square and has a 4" gusset for width... much more like a purse than a shooter's bag.

Sounds like the first pouch I made, though not quite that large. It was way too soft and kept folding in on itself when I tried to use it!! It wound up being a "Possibles Bag/Storage Pouch" I hung from the Ozan rope in the Tipi just as soon as I got my second shooting pouch done!

ClickFlash... said:
I need to make something more in line with the rest of my garb (late 18th/early 19th centuries). A (much) smaller bag makes a lot of sense - I just want to get the time frame right, for the "look".

OK, a "D" shaped pouch is good for that time period.

Another book I recommend is by another Forum Member here: "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by T.C. Albert. This book will give you all kinds of ideas and tips on construction and different kinds of pouches and would be right in the time period you want. I WISH this book had been available when I made my first pouch in 1972!! Below is but one of many places to get it: http://www.amazon.com/Recreating-18th-Century-Hunting-Pouch/dp/0976579715

One of my own favorite pouches is actually made out of "Oiled Cowhide Leather," even though at the time (1975) I did not know it was not authentic to the period. I made it as a sort of "Militia Cartridge Box" with two repro 18th century military brass buckles on the adjustment strap like a period military cartridge box. I put a somewhat wide gusset in it so I could easily put in or take out a removable cartridge block. I sewed loops into the front and back sides of the gusset to hold a NON Authentic Short Starter and Adjustable Powder Measure. I used that with my Brown Bess Carbine to shoot in "The Northwest Gun" competition and as a Reenacting Cartridge Pouch, when I took the short starter and powder measure out and put the removable cartridge block in it. That's how I know steel needles will get slippery when you hand sew Oiled Leather. :wink:

You are most welcome.
Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Made my own out of canvas. It was like $3 worth of materials and 8 hours to hand stitch it. It is light and holds my stuff.

Latest posts

Back