• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shootin " Ye Ole N.W. Gun " a bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those of you that dont know ... A North West Trade Gun is a type of " TRADE GUN " .... Thats for the D.A.s in the " Were N.W. guns in the colonies " post / thread ....GEESH !! ....LOL !!!....Any who ....been awhile and I'm between builds but just got the barrel for the next Carolina Gun so been wantin to burn a little powder . Been WAY too long !! I even flintlock flinched a couple times !! Thats bad ! I have to shoot much more regular !! Any who ...here's the results ... Gotta post this then clean this baby up ....which will take 14-17 minutes ....

Attachments

• IMG_20240731_163028.jpg
    IMG_20240731_163028.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240731_163023.jpg
    IMG_20240731_163023.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's .600 round ball , hornets nest wadding no patching , 22 yards. 55 gr. 2F . I really think I " flinched on the two that were a bit off , one to right , one to the left .... point of aim was bottom of the bullseye , as usual

Attachments

• IMG_20240731_172724.jpg
    IMG_20240731_172724.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The new tapered ramrod I made worked great . Good fast reliable ignition ...all good . I got her cleaned and hung back up on the cabin wall as the pics were downloading for this post ... Glad I got to do a bit of shootin ....been too long !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20240731_182915.jpg
    IMG_20240731_182915.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240731_183056.jpg
    IMG_20240731_183056.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240731_183040~2.jpg
    IMG_20240731_183040~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The gun looks like a good one and the shooting is right on also. I figure "Ye Ole N.W. Gun is one you made and I always love looking at your guns.
I once won an auction back in 2014 that was listed as an antique "Trade Gun" when I saw it, I had to grin because it was just a percussion Fowler with a back action Ashmore lock. I don't really remember but I think it had Belgian proof marks. It was in fairly poor shape but had potential, so I bid on it and won the bid with $160.00. It cleaned up really good and after some work on the bore & lock I decided it was safe to shoot. Turned out to be a good shooter too with shot and patched ball.
Trade Gun if I decide to trade it off.;)

trade gun (7).jpg
trade gun (8).jpg
trade gun (4).jpg

QUOTE="bpd303, post: 2669185, member: 23955"]
The gun looks like a good one and the shooting is right on also. I figure "Ye Ole N.W. Gun is one you made and I always love looking at your guns.
I once won an auction back in 2014 that was listed as an antique "Trade Gun" when I saw it, I had to grin because it was just a percussion Fowler with a back action Ashmore lock. I don't really remember but I think it had Belgian proof marks. It was in fairly poor shape but had potential, so I bid on it and won the bid with $160.00. It cleaned up really good and after some work on the bore & lock I decided it was safe to shoot. Turned out to be a good shooter too with shot and patched ball.
Thanks bud .... Yeah , I made it a year ago . Its been a good gun for me . Was good to finally get to shoot it some . I ain't made meat with it yet ! Crazy !! Oh like your " trade gun " ! Cool ! Thanks for sharing it with us !

View attachment 338147
View attachment 338148
View attachment 338149
[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="bpd303, post: 2669185, member: 23955"]
Thanks bud .... Yeah , I made it a year ago . Its been a good gun for me . Was good to finally get to shoot it some . I ain't made meat with it yet ! Crazy !! Oh like your " trade gun " ! Cool ! Thanks for sharing it with us !

View attachment 338147
View attachment 338148
View attachment 338149
[/QUOTE]
Well a little more practice and you’ll have er there Rob glad you finally shot that ole girl know you gotta get the frenchy shooting like that .😉
Well at least shoot the FDC it probably already shoots good lol.

Well a little more practice and you’ll have er there Rob glad you finally shot that ole girl know you gotta get the frenchy shooting like that .😉
Well at least shoot the FDC it probably already shoots good lol.
[/QUOTE]
I knew you was gonna bring up French ! LOL .... I wanna shoot one of with different combos ... Just wadding , with modern shot cup , with home made shot cup , different charges .....and see which is best . Be interesting .....

I have the coffee table book on Trade guns and find it interesting. Only complaint is, some of the little "detail" close-up photos are muddy, unlike most of the larger photos that are beautiful and crisp.

Those of you that dont know ... A North West Trade Gun is a type of " TRADE GUN " .... Thats for the D.A.s in the " Were N.W. guns in the colonies " post / thread ....GEESH !! ....LOL !!!....Any who ....been awhile and I'm between builds but just got the barrel for the next Carolina Gun so been wantin to burn a little powder . Been WAY too long !! I even flintlock flinched a couple times !! Thats bad ! I have to shoot much more regular !! Any who ...here's the results ... Gotta post this then clean this baby up ....which will take 14-17 minutes ....
No way! You must be talking about your neighbor!!
Larry 😂

Rob you will because I would like your opinion. Good, bad or otherwise... From someone knows these guns.
Cool , love to see build pics and love to hear the build stories . So very cool ... I know your busy but when ever you get the time love to see pics ....best of luck bud !

Latest posts

Back