• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shootin " Ye Ole N.W. Gun " a bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a little more practice and you’ll have er there Rob glad you finally shot that ole girl know you gotta get the frenchy shooting like that .😉
Well at least shoot the FDC it probably already shoots good lol.
I knew you was gonna bring up French ! LOL .... I wanna shoot one of with different combos ... Just wadding , with modern shot cup , with home made shot cup , different charges .....and see which is best . Be interesting .....
[/QUOTE]
Rob all the testing I’ve done I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s mainly the powder charge that makes the biggest difference in a shot load .You can use wasp nest or a nitro card or three thin o/ s cards over the powder it doesn’t seem to make much difference but when you get the right amount of powder behind it presto it just seems to all come together .I know I don’t have the experience of lots here but that’s my two cents worth and worth every penny 🙂.

Rob, unrelated to the topic but have you thought about/or already in the process of researching historically accurate french fusil's? I imagine there is a sizeable market for them in the bp world.

Rob, unrelated to the topic but have you thought about/or already in the process of researching historically accurate french fusil's? I imagine there is a sizeable market for them in the bp world.
I have the book on them ... and lots of pictures of originals . I have no doubt there is a market as long as the maker keeps his over head low , always a tough one for the majority of folks these days . Ive made Fusil de Chasse over the years but I dont make them anymore.... See if I can find a pic of one I made . Posts with pics are so much better :). Found some of my builds ! Authentic side plate in a couple pics too ...I'll be putting an authentic side plate on my Fusil ....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670118897613.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118897613.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118889499.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118889499.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118955448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118955448.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_183021.jpg
    IMG_20231016_183021.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118906633.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118906633.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230621_192228.jpg
    IMG_20230621_192228.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118918204.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118918204.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118912034.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118912034.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
I knew you was gonna bring up French ! LOL .... I wanna shoot one of with different combos ... Just wadding , with modern shot cup , with home made shot cup , different charges .....and see which is best . Be interesting .....
Rob all the testing I’ve done I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s mainly the powder charge that makes the biggest difference in a shot load .You can use wasp nest or a nitro card or three thin o/ s cards over the powder it doesn’t seem to make much difference but when you get the right amount of powder behind it presto it just seems to all come together .I know I don’t have the experience of lots here but that’s my two cents worth and worth every penny 🙂.
[/QUOTE]
Very cool bud , thank you for your input . Ive always used the " lower powder charge/ less spread " uhmmm .... Theory but I havent experimented with it very much ...I'm lazy :) , LOL ....sad but true . Your shot patterns with those short barreled Fukes are most impressive bud . I'm always braggin on ya . Keep yer powder dry my friend !!

I have the book on them ... and lots of pictures of originals . I have no doubt there is a market as long as the maker keeps his over head low , always a tough one for the majority of folks these days . Ive made Fusil de Chasse over the years but I dont make them anymore.... See if I can find a pic of one I made . Posts with pics are so much better :). Found some of my builds ! Authentic side plate in a couple pics too ...I'll be putting an authentic side plate on my Fusil ....
Do you have Gladysz’s book?

The fusil de chasse is a neat design.

But, most replicas made today have heavy and thick barrels present. They are nearly as heavy as a Charleville musket.

The originals were light and much handier. Nobody offers a barrel of the appropriate thin walled profile these days due to liability concerns.

Exactly ! You get it ! First thing you notice ,and say when you hold and original " WOW ! This thing is light !!" ... My last trade gun had a 48" barrel and was under 6 pds. I come the closest to getting weights like the originals .....that I know of ...... an

But, most replicas made today have heavy and thick barrels present. They are nearly as heavy as a Charleville musket.

The originals were light and much handier. Nobody offers a barrel of the appropriate thin walled profile these days due to liability concerns.

Exactly ! You get it ! First thing you notice ,and say when you hold and original " WOW ! This thing is light !!" ... My last trade gun had a 48" barrel and was under 6 pds. I come the closest to getting weights like the originals .....that I know of ...... an

Rob you sure got a lot of guys wanting your guns I’ll bet!! Are you taking orders? ;)

I wouldn’t say nobody. They can be had, but you are going to wait. Only one source for a correctly profiled FDC barrel. No the barrels weren’t swamped either.

I wanta 45 flint next for shooting small to medium game, the only gun after that I would part good money for would be a fdc more accurate than my centermark. I love that gun and it'd take some beating.

Back