• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a deer with a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf465

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There's something very satisfying about shooting a deer with a flintlock and processing it yourself. Just finished 12 lbs of bologna, 12 lbs of hot dogs, 12 lbs of chorizo, 12 lbs of brats and 12 lbs of salami. Bunch of stuff goes in the smoker tomorrow. A long, but satisfying day.

Congrats sounds like a very busy day :thumbsup:

But sounds like several days of good eatin' :wink: :thumbsup:

smo said:
Congrats sounds like a very busy day :thumbsup:

But sounds like several days of good eatin' :wink: :thumbsup:
The wife and I are both stuffed. You have to sample the product, don't ya know?

Smoker is now smokin' away with ring bologna inside! Tasting is set for 2 PM. 3 degrees outside. I'm glad I can see the thermometer from the window.

lonewolf465 said:
There's something very satisfying about shooting a deer with a flintlock and processing it yourself. Just finished 12 lbs of bologna, 12 lbs of hot dogs, 12 lbs of chorizo, 12 lbs of brats and 12 lbs of salami. Bunch of stuff goes in the smoker tomorrow. A long, but satisfying day.

That's getting it done the right way.

Everyone is free to feel the way they do, but I feel a sense of responsibility to the animal to use as much of it as I can. From your menu, I'm betting the only problem you'll have is those little bitty batches! Ain't a one of them big enough when the results are so tasty! :hatsoff:

BrownBear said:
lonewolf465 said:

Everyone is free to feel the way they do, but I feel a sense of responsibility to the animal to use as much of it as I can. From your menu, I'm betting the only problem you'll have is those little bitty batches! Ain't a one of them big enough when the results are so tasty! :hatsoff:

No antelope this year and only 2 deer. We usually have 6-8 critters to process. Had to go with small batches to get a taste of everything. I guess we could have ground more but the roasts and loins are in the freezer yet. Cured, dried deer will be made from some of the roasts, but that's another day.

lonewolf465 said:
BrownBear said:
lonewolf465 said:

No antelope this year and only 2 deer. We usually have 6-8 critters to process. Had to go with small batches to get a taste of everything. I guess we could have ground more but the roasts and loins are in the freezer yet. Cured, dried deer will be made from some of the roasts, but that's another day.

Dang! Looking at the menu, I kinda figured you were into lots more, and that proves it. Made me hungry just reading! :thumbsup:

do you mix any of this with pork or just all deer? We make sausage and salami we often use lamb or dairy goat fat since we have it, if not pork roasts get mixed in at a 1 part pork 2 part deer.

buttonbuck said:
do you mix any of this with pork or just all deer? We make sausage and salami we often use lamb or dairy goat fat since we have it, if not pork roasts get mixed in at a 1 part pork 2 part deer.

We haven't tried lamb. We mix 30% pork or beef for some fat to hold the spice favor. Usually add beef for the chirozo. Everything else we have made with either beef or pork. We experiment to see what we like best. Our family doesn't really care if the deer is mixed with pork or beef. Probably we use more beef, since we live in cattle county not pig country.

funny you should say that the price of corn has made more hog farms stop. Anyone I know starting out is going with grass fed beef. I have about 60 lb of deer to grind after I process the one we have hanging I am debating making salami or link sausages.

Back