• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Accessory Wallet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When out on a ramble, there are a few items that I feel are prudent to carry in a shot pouch but that are only needed once in a while, if at all.  Most of the time I only need round ball and patches.  Nonetheless, at least in my pouch, everything else I am carrying ends up in a jumble in the bottom of the bag or at the bottom of the extra interior pocket.  This inevitably leads to a lot of fumbling for whatever I need next.  So, I made this leather wallet to hold all those "I might need" items.  Easy to get to if I need a worm or a jag or a sewing kit, but not in my way when I am just fishing for patches and shot.  The wallet holds, from left to right,  a sewing kit in a brass tube, a "Gunner's Mate" shooting tool of my design (sort of a "Swiss Army Knife" for muzzle loading shooters), a vent pick / awl with a brass scabbard, a very small oil bottle, a pan brush, and some spare jags for other calibers.  There are small pockets for 4 spare flints.  The wallet is also very convenient if I do not take a pouch along for a short walk and just slip this into a coat pocket along with a loading block and a very small day horn.  

I don't do much leather work and I didn't want this wallet to fall apart too soon, so I made it out of kangaroo leather which is several times stronger than either cow or goat hide.  It is a beautiful supple leather to work and it is often used for high quality bull whips due to its very high strength.

AccessoryWallet1.jpg

AccessoryWallet2.jpg

AccessoryWallet4.jpg

AccessoryWallet5.jpg

AccessoryWallet8.jpg

AccessoryWallet7.jpg

Nice job...and if you don't mind me asking, what does that weigh when fully loaded...1.5-2.0 lbs?

Roundball,

It weighs 11 oz with all the gear in it. I figure if I can't carry 11 oz, I shouldn't be walking around trying to shoot a rifle anyway.

Elegant solution...great work...I do believe I've found an answer to some Christmas presents for my sons (the leatherwork...the superb brass is work is two light years beyond anything I might come up with!). Thanks for the ideas...both of you! Rod

While I love the tools, I have to chime in to compliment the leather work.

It's subtle, but that case is so well laid out that a whole lot of gear is worked into a tiny bundle, yet easily accessible. I doubt you could make a flap-top open pouch for loose gear and come up with anything smaller.... And it would be a whole lot less convenient.

Lotta head scratching and planning went into the leatherwork. Well done! :hatsoff:

:wink: :bow: WOW both of you guys have great ideas well put together that pretty much take car of more problems, awesome work all the way around on both kits. Heading for the workshop to steal yer ideas right after I get the other 562 projects I got going done, aw heck I'll steal em first n worry about the other stuff later :applause: :bow: :patriot: :thumbsup:

That is a nice piece of work Devac. I could use something similar for my medical implements. Thanks, that has set me up with another project.

Hmpfff! I thought I was a knowledgeable black powder geek but...I can't identify some of that plunder!

I love that brass cross shaped thing ... It seems to have a worm, a couple of jags and some other oddments...?

I want one!!!

Excellent work as usual!

Glen,

The brass cross shaped thing is a "Gunner's Mate". I made up over two hundred of them and have sold off all but about 20. It has 10 features shown below:

GunnersMate2sm.jpg

You can read more about it here:

http://www.luckybag.us/GunnersMate.html

Back