• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Bag advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnwolf

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm stitching up my first bag and I'd like some advice. I have TC Albert's book, "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch". I've got some 5 oz. vegetable tanned leather, I cut my pattern and started sewing.
I've seen some bags lined with pillow ticking and kinda like the look.
How it that done? Is the fabric glued to the leather before you turn it smooth side out? If so, what kind of glue? Pictures and instructions would be invaluable.

A thin layer of Barge cement or contact cement just to hold the fabric to the leather before you sew it together works.

I just use regular craft glue. Place some "dots" of glue around the inside perimeter of each bag piece. Lay out your fabric, and place the leather pieces onto the fabric. Once dry, cut the fabric around the leather pieces.

If you line the bag, you'll have to bind the exposed raw edges..such as the flap and bag opening. You do this by cutting a strip of leather approx. 1 inch wide. Fold the strip of leather over the raw edge and sew through all layers using a saddle stitch.
3d.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

Another option is to leave some excess raw fabric around the flap and fringe it.
5b.jpg

4-1.jpg

I will say this...I usually only line a bag that is made of 2-3 oz leather. 5 oz. leather is pretty heavy, and adding a lining will probably make the sewing part a little more diffucult.

What the others have said. I usually only line the lighter leathers, 2-3 ounces, and specifically the softer tempers like deer, elk, or Tandy's Deertand. It's a nice way to "stiffen" them up a bit while retaining the softness I like so much for use in the brush. Turning 5 oz with a liner can be a bugger on smaller bags.

Nothing to do with your question but I gotta say, as I get my shooting act together, my bags keep getting smaller. I like the looks of the big ones, but kinda hate to carry the bulk. And acourse, I always fill bags big or small just because there's room available. It kinda sorts your shooting gear down to essentials if you use a smaller bag.

Ric, nice work on those bags. They look soft and broken in just the way I like them. You guys are so right about 5 oz leather. The book I'm following recommends 3 oz but several people told me that 3 oz was way too light and I let them talk me into 5 oz. Bag is about half done and I already know it's not gonna be my bag of choice. It's going to end up heavier and stiffer than I had envisioned. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt to have a couple of bags. Maybe Ill try some 2-3 oz and line it like you guys do.

Finnwolf said:
Ric, nice work on those bags. They look soft and broken in just the way I like them. You guys are so right about 5 oz leather. The book I'm following recommends 3 oz but several people told me that 3 oz was way too light and I let them talk me into 5 oz. Bag is about half done and I already know it's not gonna be my bag of choice. It's going to end up heavier and stiffer than I had envisioned. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt to have a couple of bags. Maybe Ill try some 2-3 oz and line it like you guys do.

Are you lining the bag? Because the lighter oz is best to line. 5oz is a bit much to line but doable.

If you still have some wiggle room on the design you can add a gusset to a bag made from heavier leather- that helps a lot. This gusset should be tapered at the ends- the ends being that part of the gusset at the top opening, then as the gusset goes down the sides the width of the gusset increases. The reason for this is because the flap will fold over the top a little better.

Finnwolf,

Thank you. I lightly aged the bags using oven cleaner. I spray the bag with oven cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes...rinse it out and dry it in front of a space heater or blow dryer. It gives it a nice mottled/aged look. This picture shows two identical pouches. The one on the left has been aged...the one on the right has not.
8b.jpg

Those bags look great--I like the aged look. Where do you guys get your pillow ticking for the liners?

I got mine for some time from Walmart, but our local one got out of the fabric business. I guess lots of them around the country are dumping their fabrics and adding more crafting supplies. Joann's fabric is another source of ticking.

BTW- Keep your eye open for Walmarts closing out their fabrics. There's some sincere bargains. I missed out on the ticking, but bought a lifetime supply of all-cotton flannel for $1 a yard.

Oh, what the heck. One more BTW- The gussets are a great solution for bags made with heavier leathers or bags needing more volume without making them "bigger." I used my basic shooting bag pattern to make a camera bag for myself by using a gusset 3" wide at the bottom. It's drawn so much attention from other photographers that I picked up orders for 6 more. And here's a clue: Photographers are used to paying a whole lot more for their bags than muzzleloaders, and REAL leather rather than nylon? Name your price.

Same here...Joan Fabrics or Walmart. We just had a "Hobby Lobby" open here, so I now have a 3rd choice for ticking.

Thanks! I've decided my leather is too thick (most of what I have I use for making knife sheaths) so I'll pick up some thinner leather and look for the ticking. I know I don't need to line a bag, but I think it really improves the look.

Eric: that fringed liner is really nice. I am not certain but a few folks that know about such things told me on the original bags the liner was just sewn in place. Some times where there were large areas- like the main front panel, there was decorative stitching the keep the liner against the leather.
I have used hide glue and it works okay. Most will argue that if the bag gets wet the glue fails- true enough but if you grease the leather that helps a lot against wetting the leather. I mention hide glue because it was available at the time- if you just gotta be PC however the barge cement and leather cement/rubber cement really produce a superior bag because you can use thin leather and the firm canvas backing -if securely glued in place creates a laminated material that is strong.
One more aspect to a cloth lined bag. As you can see from the posted photos the interior is light and cheerful :grin: but it is not just "for looks" the light interior makes it a lot easier to find small items in the bottom of the bag- in other words there is a functional benefit as well.

Back