• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting bag questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth, I dont use barge or contact cements on my leather work so I shouldnt really say that they are great or a pain either way, but generally I recommend that glues be avoided so you dont have coloring problems later on...Im in the habit of laying out my stitches with a wheel first,then laying the pieces together that are to be stitched, and tacking them at a few places along the edge with a "keeper" stitch to keep every thing lined up and in place...this works quite well for me and the bags I make...the keeper stitch is just simple overhand knotted single stitch, and its removed as the work progresses...

maybe I just learned to work with out it, and so have never felt the need for glue, because others I know have definately had good success with contact cements for some of their work...
TCA

When it comes to something like a welt, I would agree with you. Chances are there is not going to be enough leather for cement to work (rubber or contact). My use of rubber cement is mainly for lining purposes such as a holster where there is no chance of the rubber cement being exposed. With traditional bags I see no need for it. Get up to the cap and ball era leathers 1851+ then I find it useful.
One thing is for certain. I love leathercrafting and there are as many ways to do it as there are people to do it.
I bought my bag before getting into leathercraft so I haven't made a bag yet. I am designing improvements for it to hold a patch knife and secure the horn to the bag (.54cal). Once complete, I will create a bag for my .50 cal hawken as well.
I think each caliber deserves it's own bag.

One thing is for certain. I love leathercrafting and there are as many ways to do it as there are people to do it.

Absolutely, there are several here that frequent these forums and we all make bags that are different than everyone else. Theres something for everyone. I'd rather see a guy or gal get the book and make their own bag than buyone but for those who don't want to do that, theres usually quite a variety offered in the classifieds.

I didn't think about reversing the bag after stitching--not thinking ahead. And yes, cement will cause problems with treating the leather in any fashion.

I already have a bag, some CVA thing made from suede with some awful looking fringe, with a flap held in place with velcro. Mainly I want to make my own so that I can say that I made it (and make it for my shooting habits). I already carry knives I've made. Bag is next. Someday I'll build my own rifle as well.

NJStricker said:
Mainly I want to make my own so that I can say that I made it (and make it for my shooting habits). I already carry knives I've made. Bag is next. Someday I'll build my own rifle as well.

Now you're talking! There's no such thing as just one bag, though. You'll be looking for excuses to build more!

Very true. I've never been happy with the bags I use in the spring/summer to carry my binoculars and field guides. Sounds like I'll need at least 2 bags. If I keep that .54 caliber TC I picked up a while back it should have it's own bag so I don't get roundballs mixed up. That's 3. I'm sure I can find excuses to make more. :grin:

Now you're on a roll! In the last year I've made more camera bags than shooting bags, so your plans for the summer bag are right in line. It's interesting that all you see are nylon or ripstop. Show up with a nice leather bag, and you're going to come away with orders!

Back