• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting blanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogden

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the recommended loads (relative to normal ball loads) and techniques are for firing "blanks"?

I help shoot several professional fireworks shows each year, and know from experience that it takes a lot more powder to fire a loose-fitting shell than a tight-fitting projectile because of the blow-by and resulting drop in pressure. In fact, firing the same load of black powder with *no* shell in the mortar results in a "pfft" rather than a "bang". I wondered to what extent that applied to shooting without the confinement supplied by a ball.

Specifically, I've got an Uberti 1858 Remington replica and an Uberti 1847 Walker replica and was wondering if I should use the same loads as with ball, and secondly whether Wonder Wads would still work to seal the chambers adequately.

What do the reenactors out there use?

Thanks!

I don't do the re-enacting thing, but we use blanks at camp for some flag ceremonies. In our CVA bobcats we used 100gr pyrodex and a double patch. Made for a quite impressive boom. Last summer I switched to wonder wads- 100gr powder, single wad. Much BIGGER boom. :results:

We usually shoot these rifles with 50gr pyrodex behind a PRB, so we're about double the load but not quite at the guns maximum of 120gr.

hope this helps,
vic

Thanks for the response, vic. Unfortunately, despite the ability to substitute pyrodex for BP in specific applications, there is not a 1:1 correspondence in properties, especially when there are differences in the degree of confinement. For instance, pyrodex is almost useless in fireworks because it's combustion characteristics are VERY pressure-dependent. It will not lift a loose-fitting heavy shell successfully out of a steel or HDPE mortar, period. That's based on actual experimentation. I suspect the amount of 3Fg BP to use under a wad with no ball would not correspondingly double.

Time to go back to Google, I guess...

This is from http://www.members.tripod.com/New_England_Brigade/Safety_Regulations.html:

4.6 The Max load for a pistol is 30 grains of fff black powder.

4.8 No wonder wads will be allowed, the preferred method of loading is as follows. fff black powder and then a packing such as "cream of wheat" or "corn meal" at the end of the cylinder. Other safe methods will be considered.

30 grains seems like a light load, but this is for guns intended to be fired "at" opposing lines of troops, and there's no indication of how the loose powder packing with a cereal is supposed to remain in the chambers. I am looking for a load to be shot straight up (or at least not directed towards any vulnerable taregt).

Time to go out and burn some Goex, I suppose...

-Old Dog

I don't know a bunch about pistole,,but we here in Minn at vous' with flag raising cerimony like ta have big boom and lot's of smoke ta entertain the flatlanders,,

So heres what not to do,because it's un-safe and not approved by any organization or me!. Use your normal charge. Put a little "cream of wheat" on top.(cause it helps makes good smoke and fire)(and it's dry). Then take one sheet of TP or simular size paper towel/knapkin and make a semi wet "spit ball". Pack the "spit ball" over the cereal REALLY Tight!! Ya got about 5 minutets fer good boom,,after that the spit dries and it's a loose charge.

Nobody can endorse a "spit ball" load. Because it "is" a "projectile" that will shoot your eye out or worse! Or if not wet enough can be a burning projectile that will set fire too half of Califonia and Texas and most of Iowa in one "feld" swoop.
So,,don't ever use wet, tightley packed soft paper over cream of wheat as "blanks" ever in any form. OK? it's not recomended.
good luck finding a "blank" load,tacks

Old Dog, you might check with the North South Shooters Association, or go onto the web site of one of the reenactment groups and ask this question. The CW groups load blanks into their C&B revolves at every event and they have standard safty practices that will be available. Google in on the CW reenactment units, someone will have a bullitin board you can post the question on.

From what I understand, their loads do consist of a normal charge of powder topped by a Cream of wheat filler. It is poured down the BARREL, then the filler compressed using the loading lever. I doubt that any kind of wadd is allowed due to safty constraints. I do not do the CW thing so I cannot give accurate instructions.

Latest posts

Back