• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting in france

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys
Ihave a couple of questions if anyone can help me, i am looking for a range in northern France around the Main et Loire area where i can blast away with my new Walker, what a great gun and also does anyone have any info on a French black powder called Vectan PNF2.
Thanks in advance and happy new year to you all.

This guy may be able to help:[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=175016[/url]
I don't know French geography but this guy has a nice place to shoot and a fairly active club in his area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, may be I can help you.
What do you want to know about PNF 2 (Poudre Noire Française n°2) ?
you must to know that Black Powder weapons are not allowed in all clubs (we say "club de tir" or "stand de tir") in France.
Anyway, I start now to search some address for you :hatsoff:

The price of PNF2 is around 20€/500grammes
And on a good friend's site there is what you want about characteristic of the PNF2 :[url] http://pistolet.poudrenoire.com/PN.html[/url]
And it seem's that there'is a "stand de tir" 13Km from your place, but a the moment, I don't know if black powder is allowed or not. Will get that information tomorrow.
:hatsoff:

Wow, 20 Euros for 500 gm. We complain when we have to pay more than $15 for a pound of Goex; these guys are paying well over $20 for about 17 ounces.

$20 for 1 pound, one ounce isn't really any worse than what they are asking for 777 in Phoenix. The last time I looked, Pyrodex was getting up there in price as well. :(

No news from Simon Brittan :confused:

An exemple of our only one french discounter (it's most expensive in other shops) :
Molds LEE

So, I support the economy of USA, by buying all my stuff in your country :winking:

Thanks for all your efforts B Bess did you have any luck with the address of a club or range.
I am waiting for a translation of the PNF2 article from a friend. once again thanks a lot.
Simon

Why wait?

Here is your translation in full...

PNF4 & 4Fg - Priming powder for flintlocks and small calibre handguns up t0 .36cal.

PNF2, Swiss No1 & 3Fg - Handguns between .36 and .45 cal

PNF1 & Swiss No2 - Handguns over .45cal and long-arms up to .50cal.

Musket, Swiss No3 & 4 & 2Fg - Long-arms firing heavy bullets greater than .50cal

Swiss No5 & Fg - Large-calibre long-arms and cannon.

There now, that was easy wasn't it? :winking:

tac

Hi !
Yes I found 1 :

A.S.T.D.
Chemin de la Malicornier 49430 DURTAL
President MICHEL JOLY 02.41.76.07.22
DURTAL is at 13 km from LA FLECHE, and the road is very good.
If you want I may phone on Sunday morning for ask details.

The officiel advice from VECTAN about revolvers and PNF2 :
http://www.nobelsport.fr/nobelsport/fr/schedules/PN_armes_de_poing.pdf
I read in a french forum and a french magazine that for Walker (I have not this revolver) for loading with PNF2 it's between 1,5 gramme and 2,5 grammes.
I gave you the link (about all powders) for you have an idea where is PNF2 between the others powder. Tac gave you a good summary translation :winking:
In France, you can purchase swiss black powder which has reputation to be less dirty once fired...

PS : And by the way, London is a very great city ! :hatsoff:

If I may interject here - and I DO have a Walker.

1 gramme = 15.43gr, BTW

The loads given for PNF2 are VERY VERY low indeed, especially at the bottom end.
1.5grammes is only 23gr, and even 2.5grammes is still only 38.5gr. The lower load will allow a substantial air-space beteen the charge and the ball that MUST be filled, or very real damage will occur.

My Walker load, with RB, is 50gr of FFG, and a pal in USA regularly loads his with 55gr. There has recently been a lot of discussion on loading the Walker on this site, so perhaps a look at that might be worth while.

In the meantime, I would view loading anything less than around 40gr in any Walker as hardly worth the effort. Wny did Colt make the largest revolving handgun in the world with cavernous chambers that could hold 55-60gr so that it could be loaded with 23? It don't make sense to me.

My $0.02

tac
Walker #1816

tac said:
The lower load will allow a substantial air-space beteen the charge and the ball that MUST be filled, or very real damage will occur.

We never let air-space between the charge and the ball, we usually use couscous.

tac said:
My Walker load, with RB, is 50gr of FFG, and a pal in USA regularly loads his with 55gr. There has recently been a lot of discussion on loading the Walker on this site, so perhaps a look at that might be worth while.

That's why I'm here, on this forum, see/find/discover something different.

tac said:
In the meantime, I would view loading anything less than around 40gr in any Walker as hardly worth the effort. Wny did Colt make the largest revolving handgun in the world with cavernous chambers that could hold 55-60gr so that it could be loaded with 23? It don't make sense to me.

May be it makes a sense for someone who search to kill a piece of cardboard at 25m, I don't know, as I said, I don't have this revolver, I just report what I read. But I agree, why use replicca and not respect the original charge ? :hmm:

Cher M. B Bess - je m'excuse si je vous avais offensés en aucune façon avec mon mauvais conseil, bien qu'il soit supporté par tous les manuels de conseil de charger la poudre noire dans ma possession et plusieurs articles dans Gun Digest, Guns Illustrated et le magazine allemand renommé, Visier,

Comme que je ne peux pas enlever mon conseil malavisé, je vous conseille vivement par conséquent de l'ignorer.

tac

Dear Mr B Bess - I apologise if I offended you in any way with my poor advice, although it is backed up by all three BP loading manuals in my possession and a number of articles in Gun Digest, Guns Illustrated and the renowned German magazine, Visier

Since I cannot remove my post, I therefore urge you to ignore it.

tac

I'm not offended, I'm not interested by the Walker, just want give some info to Simon Brittan about PNF2. And I didn't say my info are the best, just I read it, that's all.
If you want, I may send you the article.
:hatsoff:

Dear Mr B. Bess - I would very much like to read the article, if you would be so kind as to send it to my e-mail at [email protected] in a week of so - I am off to Tokyo tomorrow where I have my other office.

Thank you in advance.

tac

Back to post 11 I would apreciateany details you could get about this club B Bess it sounds very promising. thanks very much for all your time and efforts.
Simon.

Hi Simon Brittan !
I phoned last sunday and :
-black powder weapons are allowed at this club
-distance are 25meters, 50meters and 100meters (there is also a « mechanical running boar »)
-it's open on sunday morning but for BP, it's on tuesday, 04h00PM.
-one year with insurance and membership card : 125€00 (the year start in septembre)

I gave infos about PNF2 and about loading Walker (in France view by french people).
So why we shoot so light with revolvers (because it's not only the Walker who is concerning) ?
-follow the builder's manuels :
Uberti

Pietta

Vectan
http://www.nobelsport.fr/nobelsport/fr/schedules/PN_armes_de_poing.pdf
-avoid leading
-keep his weapon in good condition as long as possible
-limited the smoke (that is almost not tolerated by smokeless shooters)
-have accuracy at 25 meters
-it's not allowed to hunt with revolvers in France

For exemple, look at this recent topic on another forum :[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2119964#post2119964[/url]
Duncaninfrance is in french hands and shoot in France, and what ? He use a light loading.
Is it the best method ? Don't know, only another method, that's all.

The article about the walker, it's in french magazine « Cibles » n°430 January 2006 that you may purchase there :[url] http://www.graphycom.com/site_cl/shop_html.pl/page=accueil.htm[/url]

Hi everyone, It's Duncaninfrance here. Thought I would pop over from the other forum and see what was cooking.
I am glad you have some info now Simon. I have found that the members at my club in Blaye are very kind and helpful. I was even allowed to join in their celibration of the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Austerlitz.
I shoot a Pietta 1858 New Model Army Remington Competition and since my first shoot I have increased the load to 28 grains which is better. I am still on a steep learning curve but enjoying every second!!
Stay well, à bientôt
Duncan

Back